We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Cancun..Questions.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Cancun..Questions.

DH and I are planning a trip for our 10 year anniversary and I am hoping the experts here can help with a few questions.

1. Can you recommend a hotel that has modern rooms and nice pools. I would also prefer that the hotel is not crawling with kiddos as we are leaving ours at home so we can have some much needed adult time.

2. AI or not? We have been to Cabo a few times and we never do AI because there are so many wonderful authentic places to eat. Is Cancun the same way? If the restaurants aren't that great then we may as well do and AI.

3. Is there another city near Cancun that may be better suited to 30 somethings who are looking for romance and relaxation and not the party scene? I have heard people mention Playa del Carmen, etc. I don't mind going out and having fun but I want to feel like I am in paradise, not at some college frat party.

4. Can you swim at the beaches in Cancun? I am heading to the Caribbean side of Mexico because I really want to be able to enjoy the crystal clear waters. Is the water pretty calm or am I going to be afraid to swim in it?

Thanks for all your input!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Cancun..Questions.

In reading all of your questions, I'd say stay on Isla Mujeres. We were there a month ago and have usually stayed in Cancun. We enjoyed it. The beaches are great (you can actually swim in them), the "authentic" food is much better, and it is a quiet laid back place. A short 18 minute ferry ride to the island from Cancun and sounds much more like what you are looking for. We did AI in Isla for the drinks - the price for the AI was good enough that it paid for our drinks and room service. Any questions about Isla, feel free to ask!

New England
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Cancun..Questions.

I also think you would enjoy Isla mujeres based on what you wrote. To guarantee no kids you might consider Villa La Bella. Even though it is not in Centro it is a lovely and romantic adult only spot.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Cancun..Questions.

Check out Isla Mujeres Palace and Sun Palace. Both sound like good choices for you.

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Cancun..Questions.

Ultimately the Cancun hotel zone will provide the best oceanfront rooms and views. I would recommend Live Aqua for a great adults-only, all-inclusive, for a reasonable cost...

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150807-d506374…

If having a direct oceanfront room isn't a priority have a look at Secrets Maroma located in Playa Del Carmen. This is also an adults-only all-inclusive that is rated #2

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150812-d100758…

Minnesota
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Cancun..Questions.

We stayed at Privilege Aluxes in Isla. It was nice. Inclinefreak is right in that Cancun gives you the oceanfront rooms/resorts. Good luck on the big decision CaliLori!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Cancun..Questions.

While I think Isla Mujeres is nice there doesn't seem to be as many hotel options so I think we may stick with Cancun.

Any thoughts between Sun Palace and Live Aqua? It looks like I can get a pretty good deal through Costco for air/hotel at Sun Palace.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Cancun..Questions.

Any thoughts between Sun Palace and Live Aqua?

Live Aqua has gorgeous pools, much nicer than at SP. Also a much nicer spa and gym IMO.

Aqua has lovely rooms with luxe bedding. It is quite zen and we prefer how the resort is laid out as compared to SP.

We have stayed 2x at Aqua and only visited SP but based on our viist, it does not have the ambiance and features we prefer.

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Cancun..Questions.

Since you normally don't do AI in Cabo then I would recommend the same for Cancun. There are so many good restaurants to choose from.

For hotels try Westin Lagunamar, it's nice, modern and in a good location in the hotel zone.

We never do AI....food is important to me and most AI's all I hear about is that the food is ok.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Cancun..Questions.

Finsky...I checked out the Westin's web-site and it mentions a "children's pool" which scares me. Are there a lot of families at the Westin? We are looking for a hotel that doesn't have a lot of kids. We will be there in July.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Cancun..Questions.

I'd also look at LeBlanc and The Royal In Cancun ...