We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casual elegant? Help!

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Topic
Casual elegant? Help!

I understand the part about no swimsuits, shorts or tshirts. My husband has long pants and hawaiian shirts. But what the heck are considered "beach sandals"? I have nice leather "flip flops" or birkenstocks.... are those exceptable? What about a nice tank top with a skirt or pants? I don't want to bring my whole dresser!

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casual elegant? Help!

Depending on where you are staying... women can get away with more at dinner as long as your not in a coverup; men long pants, short sleeve collared shirt or polo are the norm, no open toed shoes/sandals or flip flops.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casual elegant? Help!

beach sandals are typically flip flop style, as opposed to nicer lather sandals.

Casual tends to be collared short sleeve shirt, and nice shorts.

Elegant usually means long pants, no open toed shoes, and non-logoed shirt. A Hawaian shirt is usually fine.

Algoma Mills ON
Level Contributor
82 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casual elegant? Help!

Open toed shoes for women are completely acceptable everywhere we have stayed. The men however are not so lucky. Most restaurants with dress codes require long pants and closed shoes for the gentlemen.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casual elegant? Help!

So you might now be askking yourself the difference between a flip flop and a sandle. Many nice sandals are a flip flop/slide style. Generally if it has a heel - how ever slight, it's a sandal. Flat bottom, it's a flipflop.

Flipflops are generally noiser than a sandal as well, since they slap against your foot, where a sandal fits a little differently making them less noisy.

The no open toed she's generally applies to men, though there are many sandal styles that are resort wear appropriate for men.

5. Re: Casual elegant? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2013, 09:22