We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing home with you vs. submerging in the destination

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
bringing home with you vs. submerging in the destination

I hope this doesn't devolve into a flame post, I really don't. However, I want to bring it up in hopes we can have a calm discussion, for my own education (and maybe others) on alternative points of view. I see a number of posts about people asking if they will be able to find something in Cancun that they enjoy from their home. Examples of this are one's favorite beer or cigarette brand , or even something as specific as an omelet sauce. These types of concerns I don't think about, at least not actively.

From my point of view, part of going on vacation is leaving home and having to try something new or different because there is no choice but to use and enjoy what is available at my destination. My question is basically looking for a response from people who feel differently on this topic.

I hope asking this question doesn't offend. Just to reiterate, I'm not judging, I just want to understand better.

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing home with you vs. submerging in the destination

I think the only thing I would think of bringing with me (but never do) is tea-bags!! I come from a nation of tea drinkers and in 9 years have never found a good cup of tea yet!! Not sure if it's the water, the milk or the tea-bags. ;0)

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,590 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing home with you vs. submerging in the destination

For the most part, I'm with you jhulsa - when it comes to food and drink, I'm happy to go with what's available locally. I simply cannot fathom people who base their resort selection based upon the brand of beer served (especially if it's Corona).

On the other hand, being from the UK originally, I totally understand the addiction to HP sauce and Marmite!

My own "must haves" from home are hair and sunscreen products. I'm fussy about both and prefer to bring something tried and true with me rather than experiment with what I can find locally. I'm sure plenty of people think that's a bit weird but my view is that it's my baggage allowance and therefore my business what I choose to bring!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,815 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing home with you vs. submerging in the destination

I really have to agree with you, ieemc. Often what Mexicans call tea is not tea at all but a hot beverage made with fruit or flowers. If you look at a supermarket , thats mostly what you find. I do find some of the Chedraui stores have several varieties of Twinings tea bags. That , I can accept.

Other than that, I try to do as jh says. I go for local food and drink. My Mexican friends will tell you, I even get upset if a restaurant gives me an english menu. They always try to intercept the waiter, ha ha.

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing home with you vs. submerging in the destination

@ Robert - I sometimes get lucky with the Twinnings and do drink the fruit tea when there and at home too! I sometimes wish I liked coffee as my Hubbie always says it's lovely!

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing home with you vs. submerging in the destination

Lisa, I agree, personal care items and health stuff, I do bring with me, as I am particular about such things. I think I am thinking particularly about food, drink, and recreation stuff.

Although I am not a tea drinker, I can understand bringing tea bags.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing home with you vs. submerging in the destination

Everyone is different, and thank God for that. There is your answer.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
274 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing home with you vs. submerging in the destination

I have to bring Ski with me when I go on vacation. It's a special soda that is PERFECT after a late night of drinking.

Whittle-le-Woods
Level Contributor
293 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing home with you vs. submerging in the destination

Can't go anywhere without my Yorkshire teabags lol!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing home with you vs. submerging in the destination

I can't get Yoli in the United States! ARGH!

But seriously, I go to Mexico because I want to eat Mexican food, drink Mexican drinks, hang around Mexican people/culture/etc..

If I wanted to eat American food, drink American drinks, and only hang around Americans....I would stay here.

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bringing home with you vs. submerging in the destination

I agree with you jhulsla! It's fun to try new and different foods! Most of the time vacation is only for a week to 10 days, it's not like I'm moving there for good and can't do without something.