We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Breaker Killed

Newport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
62 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Breaker Killed

A college student on Spring Break from the University of Tennessee was killed and his girlfriend was seriously injured in a moped accident in Cancun yesterday. This is so sad!! We never try to drive any type of vehicle when we are in a different country because of the difference in traffic laws or the lack thereof.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
749 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Breaker Killed

Was that in Cozumel?

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Breaker Killed

How sad. Would never think of driving down there. They go way to fast.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,359 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Breaker Killed

It does sound like the Cozumel accident. These are way too common on the island.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
749 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Breaker Killed

Yes, we have seen groups of young people in Cozumel gathered at scooter rental places, ignoring the pre rental safety instructions, struggling to figure out how they work, laughing and whooping it up, and taking off on them as fast as they can, no helmets.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Breaker Killed

Very sad. Sounds like Cozumel or even possibly Isla Mujeres. I've never seen a moped in Cancun. No one would be that crazy. It's too large and busy of a city for that. On Cozumel, though, there are many more mopeds than on Isla Mujeres.

Cheryl

toronto
Level Contributor
787 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Breaker Killed

"I've never seen a moped in Cancun."

C'mon....really? Do you ever leave your compound?

Prescott Ontario
Level Contributor
973 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Breaker Killed

I've seen lots of mopads in Cancun, in almost every instance being driven by the locals.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Breaker Killed

Actually, in almost 20 years of visiting Cancun for 3-4 weeks a year I've never seen mopeds in the hotel zone where most tourists are. We don't rent mopeds but we do rent cars, drive all over without problems. There aren't moped rental stands like on Coz or Isla Mujeres on the hotel zone. Unless they all occurred since I was there last October. FYI...have never stayed at an all inclusive nor in any compound - and have stayed on Coz and in Playa as well as in Cancun.

Cheryl

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,842 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring Breaker Killed

This is one of those situations with the user beware, the large majority of folks coming to these boards are advised against moped rentals whether it's Cancun, Isla Mujeres, or Cozumel and elsewhere in the region. Fortunately, for most that do rent them, the rentals are uneventful, however dangerous, for a sad handful each year, serious accidents occur or worse, and that dream vacation turns to tragedy.

Rather frankly, I've seen Moped Rentals in Cancun since the late 80's and it's the absolute last place I'd ever want to get involved with a moped rental due to traffic conditions. From what I've seen, read and heard about them on Isla and Coz, the attitude remains much the same. I've experienced riding them for a brief period on Isla with a local and one time was more than enough to realize that there's safer, much better modes of transport.

JMO

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring Breaker Killed

Boy, Dangers, I believe you but I've never noticed them in the hotel zone of Cancun. I must be absolutely clueless. (Not surprising, frankly....when on vacation I'm not always tracking.) I did pay attention to them on Isla and Coz.

Cheryl