We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Times share apartment are they worth it?

Halifax, Canada
14 posts
Save Topic
Times share apartment are they worth it?

The last time we were in Cancun we were approached at the airport and at the rental car agency about going to a time share property to view the resorts they were promoting. I just wondered if they are a deal or a rip off? I've seen them in action pressuring tourist to take them up on free meals and one on 5th avenue in Playa del Carnen offered us $250 dollars free just to go to their presentation. We've always just waved them off think them as rip offs but has anyone here ever taken them up on their sales pitches and satisfied with what they spent?

Cancun Passion
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
Caribbean Connection
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Olympus Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,583 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Times share apartment are they worth it?

I own a timeshare, and personally I think they are a waste of my vacation time. Most in Cancun are known for their high pressure tactics. Unless you are absolutely positive you can day NO! and you don't mind a 45 minute presentation turning into a couple hours ... well only you can decide what your time is worth on vacation

BigTX
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Times share apartment are they worth it?

One word: No

Halifax, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Times share apartment are they worth it?

Just asking because they must be selling them the sharks are everywhere and some people must be buying. I wouldn't give them the time of day but some must for them to be giving stuff away. That is really a tip off when they are offering free stuff just to listen, my alarm bells go off when they talk free. I always believed them to be low lifes scrounging off the bottom trolling for those looking to get something for nothing. What's the saying " There is no such thing as a free lunch" You'll pay for it in the end one way or another.

Edited: 21 April 2012, 23:20
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Times share apartment are they worth it?

when you go to the secondary market and they sell for a few pennies on the dollar that should also be a clue.

P.T. Barnum was right

Edited: 21 April 2012, 23:59
East Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Times share apartment are they worth it?

We like to rent timeshares, but wouldn't buy one. We did stay at a resort in Playacar super cheap in exchange for our time sitting in a presentation. It's amazing how good they can make it sound! We came close to caving after 2 hours and several cocktails. Glad we didn't buy!

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Times share apartment are they worth it?

NO! My mom bought a timeshare in Florida. She wants to resell it but people are selling their timeshares for a dollar these days.

The maintenance fees are often so high (they can go higher with time) that you can get a better hotel deal (without putting down a huge amount upfront) just with travel packages or going midweek instead. And most timeshares start/end on weekends so your flights often cost more than the amount you would have saved with the timeshare.

If you do decide to get a timeshare, I'd buy direct from current timeshare owners cause many will sell them for a dollar even (at least in Fl, don't know Mexico). Even for a dollar, I still wouldn't get a timeshare though.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 02:11
New York City
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Times share apartment are they worth it?

Stay Away !!!!!!

8. Re: Times share apartment are they worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:16