We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Oasis Problem

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Oasis Problem

Local media is reporting that an employee, apparently the head cashier , was found dead in an office of the hotel on Sunday. The body was bound and apparently the office in disarray with cash missing.

Hope the local police solve this quickly. Never a good thing in the tourist zone. I looked for details because a friend who was in Cancun saw all the police activity at the hotel and asked if I had any details.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Oasis Problem

This hotel from the day was build had nothing but problems. I stayed there once before became all inclusive, spring break haven, and did not liked than. It seems like this place is 'cursed'.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Oasis Problem

That's a bit scary - glad we went first week of April, we had considered waiting until May. I'm a bit surprised to be honest, security seemed quite tight at the Oasis; as a joke my fiance tried pulling his sleeve over his wristband and walking in the front door with me and the security guard actually grabbed his arm. Was it a "guest" that did it?

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Oasis Problem

From the local media reports, apparently a woman, the hotel head cashier, was assaulted, bound and gagged by duct tape, in her office at the Grand Oasis, in what is believed to be a robbery/homicide on Sunday. The homicide, intentional or not, presumably occurring due to the victim being gagged by the duct tape resulting in asphyxiation. The victim from reports also had received a blow to the head, presumably from struggling with the thieves. The victim had been locked in her office and wasn't found until the following day.

Currently, the police are reported to be acting on robbery as the motive for the hotels employee payroll and/or receipts from a recent boxing event at the hotel. The cashier's office was reported to be found in a state of disarray with coins and cash strewn around.

The police investigation continues and there will likely be much more reported in the very near future regarding the robbery.

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Oasis Problem

Links?

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Oasis Problem

sipse.com/noticias/155347---investigar-emple…

www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php…

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Oasis Problem

Thanks Dangers.

I always like to share the news with my Spanish speaking friends as well.

Sad story, but I wouldn't cancel a trip to Vegas if a similar incident happened at one of the many hotels there and hopefully people will not make more of this than it is when considering coming here. Chances are they will charge a co-worker with an inside job, but will have to wait and see.

North Plainfield...
Level Contributor
903 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Oasis Problem

Oh boy. I just booked my friends there and he was very hesitant to go to Mexico because of all the warnings that it is dangerous. Out of all the resorts in his budget, I picked this one.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Oasis Problem

Fortunately, in most (if not all) aspects thus far reported, this does not seem to be a tourist related crime, though occurring in the Hotel Zone. If my understanding is correct, the Grand Oasis held a major professional championship fight on Saturday night that likely had a large draw financially. The criminal(s) at this juncture appear to have targeted the proceeds from the fights and/or also payroll via the Oasis Cancun cashier's office and in the process committed the homicide, possibly unintentionally, homicide nonetheless.

And, I agree with LTL, it's likely that there's an insider involved but that's simply speculation on my part.

The crime wouldn't make me hesitant about visiting Cancun in the least but that's JMHO.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Oasis Problem

Tecknik....on a positive note security there will be above normal I would think so they are probably safer than ever!!

So sad!!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Oasis Problem

According to the local media today, the owners of the hotel have yet to file a formal complaint with the police so its unknown how much was stolen. Its also said the hotel owners have ordered the employees to keep quiet so all are afraid to discuss what they do know with the media.