We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you already bought airline tix for Dec./Jan??

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Have you already bought airline tix for Dec./Jan??

Hi,

Just trying to gauge how far in advance is usual to buy tix to Cancun?

This is my first time flying into Mexico. I know that airlines have been consolidating and cutting flights sooo I hate to buy tooo far in advance and then have them cancel my flight.

<sigh> I know no one has a crystal ball but just wondering??

KANSAS
Level Contributor
998 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you already bought airline tix for Dec./Jan??

I have bought my tickets for February. If they cancel your flight they should rebook you on a comparable. I booked last month with a hotel/flight package through Expedia. My flight is through United, and it has already changed 3 times. So far it is just getting better and better. We were due to fly home at 7 am... now we are flying out at 10:50am. Much better to get to the airport at 8 am than 5 am ;0)

KANSAS
Level Contributor
998 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you already bought airline tix for Dec./Jan??

I should also say... this is not something I would normally do. We got a grand opening deal for Secrets the Vine so I jumped on it. Normally I would wait for the non-stop flights to be published through Frontier. This normally happens in July or August. for flights out of Kansas City.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you already bought airline tix for Dec./Jan??

Thanks for the info. I had a bad experience with US Air last year to Europe. When they canceled a flight they wouldn't rebook me and just gave me my money back.

I had to start all over looking for flights again!

I said I'd never fly them again but they seem to have the best on time record at the moment from Phoenix to Cancun.

Anyone else out there already have your tix for the winter months or do you also wait until summer to buy???

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you already bought airline tix for Dec./Jan??

From MSP to Cancun (Christmas - early January)..non-stop prices started @ $955 a few months ago, now down to around $600-650 thru Delta. I follow the seat availability (i.e.--the fewer the seats, the higher the price.. until they have only a few left-then they firesale the flight). We usually pick a price we're satisfied paying and book. Good Luck!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you already bought airline tix for Dec./Jan??

Yes, a crystal ball would be sweet!!

Three weeks ago I booked Delta nonstop airfare and Secrets The Vine for late January 2013 travel. Thought I was all set. Delta has since cancelled my flight. There were no comparable Delta flights I was interested in rebooking, so I got a full refund. Now I'm starting all over with my airfare search. UGH.

I traditionally am an early booker, many times 6 to 9 months in advance. This is the first time I've had a flight completely cancelled. Usually they just tweak the departing times. I'll continue to book early, just because that's my nature. I guess my rule of thumb is if you find a great price on airfare, book it.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you already bought airline tix for Dec./Jan??

Delta.... grrrrrrrr!!!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have you already bought airline tix for Dec./Jan??

I'm waiting for AirTran to list their schedule for December, but so far they only book through November 2. I don't understand why they are doing that because the flights are exactly the same as last December. I also read an article recently that said waiting six weeks before your trip is usually the cheapest time to buy, but for me I couldn't do that. It would play on my mind price-wise and availability-wise, though I'm hoping to upgrade to business class when I get to the airport like last year. and so far the price through October is only $425 nonstop out of BWI. From what I'm seeing, that's a steal of a deal.

Owatonna Minnesota
Level Contributor
181 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have you already bought airline tix for Dec./Jan??

Booked two weeks ago for Dec 1st-8th Suncountry for $570. When delta first posted the flights they were around $560-$570. This morning $1255. Suncountry is around $600. Makes no sense! In general for us booking early has been the thing to do the last couple years.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have you already bought airline tix for Dec./Jan??

just checked Orbitz and there's not one nonstop flight to Cancun in December. I will wait because I refuse to fly American and that's the cheapest with one stop.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have you already bought airline tix for Dec./Jan??

Thanks for answering everyone!

The least expensive I see for me is $621 with 1 stop.

There are NO non stops even from LAX.

San Diego is more expensive to fly out of than some other airports nearby but it is convenient which also counts for something!

For my trips to Europe I watch and then buy at about 3-4 months out usually.

I just have no frame of reference for Cancun and haven't been able to find a site with historical prices for this route.