We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pets no longer allowed in the cabin. HELP!!

McAllen, Texas
11 posts
Save Topic
Pets no longer allowed in the cabin. HELP!!

Hello going to Cancun in one mothe. Today i got a call from united saying they no longer allow pets/dogs in the cabin with passengers due to a new mexican rule. Please help me out anyone, is there a loop hole or a way around this. the airline has already refunded our in cabin pet fee. I wish they would have given us a grace period. i would hate to plan a new vacation in one month. Thank you

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pets no longer allowed in the cabin. HELP!!

Travel in June is way too hot for traveling in cargo. Seems like your only other option is to leave your furbuddy at home with a caregiver of some kind. I don't see another way around it.

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pets no longer allowed in the cabin. HELP!!

Umm...it's an animal/pet, do like all other normal healthy functioning human beings do and board your pet if you don't have someone to take care of it...

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pets no longer allowed in the cabin. HELP!!

What you do is your choice but not knowing the duration of your stay does impact suggestions.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pets no longer allowed in the cabin. HELP!!

As people who bring our two chihuahuas back and forth with us from NH to Cancun on USAirways, IN THE CABIN, most recently on April 12Th, I know of NO new Mexican rule that disallows bringing pets into the Country. BTW, we're still here in Cancun...

Here are two 'official' Mexican Agriculture WebSites outlining what is required to bring pets into the Country.

http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?id=623

http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?id=3691

If I were you, I'd contact United with the info at these Sites and if they still won't allow the pet(s), then I'd ask for a complete refund and book on an airline that allows CABIN pets. After all, it's not like the pets are going for free!!!! CABIN Vs is STORAGE is a BIG difference. I'd also make copies of the info and bring it along.

@ inclinefreak: There are some of us who are actually very normal but happen to come to Cancun for more than a week or two, actually 'like' live here and would prefer to have our furry family with us....

To the OP: Please PM me if you should need more detailed info.

McAllen, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pets no longer allowed in the cabin. HELP!!

Hello, I feel the same way. The person that called me from United told me no airline would be allowing in cabin pets to Mexico. If this is so,Ii know that many people are going to have a problem. For some putting your pet in cargo isnt a big deal. But for some, it could be a deal breaker.

Edited: 06 May 2012, 06:24
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pets no longer allowed in the cabin. HELP!!

Well ~ what if it were you're seeing eye dog/cat/bird "pet"?

I certainly would not want that "animal-pet" in the cargo (actually I wouldn't want any of mine in the cargo).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pets no longer allowed in the cabin. HELP!!

I wish my dog was small enough so I can travel with him in the cabin. The cargo is a deal breaker for me. Using a dog kennel is out of the question as well. Thank God, I have trusty friends that watch & love my dog.

I feel your pain.

Call JetBlue if United doesn't work out. They fly to Cancun & they are very pet friendly.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pets no longer allowed in the cabin. HELP!!

I found this blog on the topic:

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-conso…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pets no longer allowed in the cabin. HELP!!

Oh, wow!

Thanks for the post, Bob. I really hope that people can make last minute travel arrangements for their pets. That is such an inconvenience. My friend was looking forward to bringing her dog to the ME Cancun. Cargo isn't an option for her as well.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pets no longer allowed in the cabin. HELP!!

Glad to help.