We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety for teen grad trips

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Safety for teen grad trips

As someone who lived in Cancun for over five years, I can say it is reasonably safe for teens on their grad trips. As for drug violence among cartels, this is happening mostly in the northern border towns, such as Laredo and Ciudad Juarez. What your teen must remember is to stay with a group and DO NOT leave your friends, as petty crimes such as theft do occur, as well as horrific crimes such as sexual assault. Remember there are safety in numbers. High levels of intoxication do take place among visiting teens, so I would not advise underage drinking. I have seen young adults so inebriated, they lose all their cash, travellers cheques and in some cases are the prime targets for rapes and assaults. I have even watched as a girl passed out on the street with no friends in sight to help her. She was very lucky that I happened to be strolling by from a nearby club and I woke her up and helped her back to her hotel. Who knows what could have happened to her had I not walked by! Alcohol poisoning is also rampant as liquor flows freely. Parents, know your teens. Alcohol and drugs is the worry and your teens actions, not CANCUN. If you believe they would not use their best judgements and become easily influenced by these toxins, they should not go to Cancun. Remember, poor Natalie Holloway went missing when she went off with strangers. Trust KNOWONE, stick with your group and all should be fine. Crimes against visitors are often left unsolved by the local authorities. In closing, Cancun is always busy and bustling in the hotel zone, so clubbing is usually a fun and exciting experience. Happy travels !

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety for teen grad trips

If I had teens (mine are grown) I would never allow them to go on a graduation trip anywhere out of the country without me or their dad.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety for teen grad trips

Trust KNOWONE?

what is the point of this?

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety for teen grad trips

Well the point is that teens should not stray from their group of people they know and trust. The buddy system makes for a much safer vacation. Just ask my friend's friend. While in a popular night spot in Cancun, this young lady decided to leave her group of travelers to take a "walk" with a strange guy with a dazzling smile. This walk turned into a nightmare from hell when he robbed her of camera, cash and purse with her credit cards. Crime went unsolved.

Arlington Hts, IL
Level Contributor
399 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety for teen grad trips

Very well said!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety for teen grad trips

And that is why it would scare me to death to have my young kid go to a foreign country alone. I want them to go with me and learn the area before going out on their own. I don't understand why any high school would want to take the responsibility of taking a graduating class or younger to another country.

dorset
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety for teen grad trips

Welcome to any major holiday destination anywhere in the world!

My son is 17 and about to go to Malia in Greece with a group of 8 others same age, am i worried? Yes. But then i would be as worried if he were 18 or 19, or even older. No body condones under age drinking but you cant prevent it, all you can to is give them good advice and hope they follow it.

This is not exclusive to Cancun, and i dont really get the point of the post either.

Arlington Hts, IL
Level Contributor
399 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety for teen grad trips

I get the point. Some parents need a little wake up call sometimes. Yes, young people travel all over the world and this advise is good for that too. But quite a few students go to Mexico from the US mainly to party. They drink a lot and what Char said probably happens often. So far when the subject has come up in my house, I say no and they haven't pushed. They will go alone when they are a little older.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety for teen grad trips

This post belongs on a parenting board.

chicago
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety for teen grad trips

I'm a high school teacher, and I can vouch that even the best kids can make really bad decisions when the circumstances are right. Cancun is no more dangerous than any other major city. However, hotels and clubs are not in the business of making sure kids make it home safely, and they will serve teens as long as the kids can pay. Drug dealers will approach them. Cute strangers will approach them. Why send young kids off to face so much temptation?

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety for teen grad trips

Yes I agree, so true.