We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earliest in the year i can see Turtles hatching

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Earliest in the year i can see Turtles hatching

I want to minimize my chances for bad weather and hurricanes yet still see baby turtles, not just turtles laying eggs. When should I go?

Also, what's the cheapest way for me to see those turtles without having to stay up all night or risk not seeing them? I saw some volunteer programs in Cozumel but it was 50 dollars if you didn't want to stay up all night. Thanks

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earliest in the year i can see Turtles hatching

You can look up info on green sea turtles and hawksbills...possibly loggerheads. My vague recollection is that they start laying laying eggs in May. Let's pick late May for discussion.

Incubation time is around 60 days so they should start hatching by late July.

There may be a peak time but I do not know what that is. Nor do I know the latest that they hatch.

I will just guess that the peak may be around August/September which roughly coincides with the peak hurricane season.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,510 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earliest in the year i can see Turtles hatching

Ditto to what Co-Pilot said - I know there's a "season" but I don't know that there's a peak time. You also need to realise that no matter when you go, getting to see hatchlings is NOT guaranteed. Also, turtle season and hurricane season go hand-in-hand, so if you want to see one, you run the risk of dealing with the other.

FWIW, I ALWAYS go to Mexico during hurricane season. I've been through a tropical storm which was later upgraded to a hurricane but other than torrential rain and high winds for about two hours one evening, the weather didn't afffect my vacation at all. Last year, we had about two days of intermittent rain but only one of them was frequent enough or heavy enough to actually impact beach and pool time.

When I was at the Valentin Imperial Maya last year (last week of September and first week of October), I was lucky enough to take part in a turtle release. I didn't actually see the babies hatch but we got to hold them, put them in the sand and watch them make their way to the ocean. It was a wonderful experience. We'd been fortunate enough to see a mama lay her eggs the previous year, so it kinda completed the circle.

I should add that the previous year, when we'd seen the turtle lay her eggs, the biologists or whomever is in charge of the eggs were NOT allowing tourists to take part in the turtle release. So even if you're there are the right time, there's no guarantee you'll be able to take part.

If you don't want to participate in whatever's offered in Cozumel, then check out the turtle farm on Isla Mujeres - I would guess that that's your best bet for a guaranteed turtle encounter.

Edited: 20 May 2012, 15:16
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,419 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earliest in the year i can see Turtles hatching

The hotel we stay at has turtle release party's. This is a nightly event. We actually had, back to back vacations last yr. Aug, Sept . They were doing this each visit.. I think the release time is in the evenings after sunset. The guests are the one doing the releasing. My wife did it one time. .Maybe I can get some pics up for view.

I agree on the peak season timing above

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earliest in the year i can see Turtles hatching

We were at the Golden Parnassus during the first couple of weeks last September, and we were able to release baby turtles into the sea at night around 8pm. The hotel staff announced it to the guests and anyone who wanted to participate needed to be on the beach at the designated time. It was fun to watch the little turtles scurry into the surf. I'm hoping that during my trip in June I will be able to see the mama turtles laying their eggs on the beach, and when i return in September that I'm able to be present at a turtle release again...great fun!

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earliest in the year i can see Turtles hatching

Thanks everyone. Moving my trip to end of July/beginning of August so I can have a chance to see both whale sharks and turtles hatching.

Hope weather turns out ok.

6. Re: Earliest in the year i can see Turtles hatching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:16