We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torn between Cancun and Riviera Maya Area

MrsBGray
Level Contributor
33 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Torn between Cancun and Riviera Maya Area

Help! I'm trying to book a trip in October for my husband and me for our 5 year wedding anniversary. I'm torn btw Cancun and RMaya region. We've been to Cancun and I know that depending where you stay the beach can be good or bad. I've never stayed in RMaya area. Beach front is a big thing for me when we go away...Any suggestions? As long as resort has activities and a disco we are good ...going off the resort isn't a must for us.

Thank you in advance!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torn between Cancun and Riviera Maya Area

Hi. You're going to get hit up with a lot of questions as to what your price range is, etc. To be honest, if you've already done Cancun I would stay in the Riviera Maya Playa del Carmen areas for some tropical scenery. do you want adults only? Coco Bongos is in PDC. Check out Playacar Palace or just check out PDC's hotels here on TripAdvisor and see what you like. I always stick with the top 10, maybe 15. Maybe Secrets Maroma, Secrets Capri or the other one which name escapes me as I write this. Maroma Beach is one of the top 10 beaches in the world and has the beautiful blue water as Cancun. Going further south the water can be less attractive. Anyway, you need to offer up more information so people can give you more advice. :)

Pennington Gap
Level Contributor
67 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torn between Cancun and Riviera Maya Area

We were at Riu Palace Riviera Maya last year and had a great time. Beautiful resort with a very nice beach and lots of palm trees and tropical vegetation.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torn between Cancun and Riviera Maya Area

MrsBGray- I second RIU Palace RM, if the beach is the most important factor to you. I needed 3 pictures to get it all in. Lots of palm trees for shade as well.

Playacar Palace beach is stunningly large as well, no shade though, but has other factors, like location, Palace bucks, double in-room jacuzzi standard, and others against RPRM.

Adults only maybe Royal in PDC, similar beachfront, all three would be expensive, RPRM would be the cheapest of the three.

There are 20 other choices between the Canun Airport, and Tulum, you could choice if you don't want to be in PDC. All the below choices are adult only.

1. Valentine Imperial Maya

2. All the secrets resorts

3. Excellence RM

4. Iberostar Grand

5. El Dorado Sea side suites-EDSS

Cheaper choice would be Catalonia Royal Tulum

I don't know how much your willing to spend. And if PDC it's acceptable, or you interested in Puerto Morelos, Akumal etc.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 20:12
Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torn between Cancun and Riviera Maya Area

I stayed at the El Dorado Sea side suites-EDSS and can honestly say it was a great holiday, great beach, amazing food and shows at night were to be as expected! Lots of honeymooners.

We upgraded to a swim up suite highly recommend

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
184 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torn between Cancun and Riviera Maya Area

If you have the time do both. We have always just stayed in Cancun, but this year we did 7 nights in Cancun and 3 in PDC. Best of both worlds and you could split the nights up in each place anyway you want.

The private van ride from Cancun to Playa was $59.00. I am sure cheaper if you just did a car transfer since there is only 2 of you.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torn between Cancun and Riviera Maya Area

We now prefer Riviera Maya over Cancun... the Catalonia Royal Tulum is our favorite adults only (not all honeymooners) all inclusive, with IMO one of the best beaches in the area... nice pool areas and jacuzzis, buffet and ala carte restaurants, nice accommodations with huge walkin showers for two :) evening entertainment and lobby bar.

The Riu Tequila is the most popular for an active onsite disco, not on the beach but accessible if you are staying at the Riu Yucatan, or Riu Palace Resorts. The same with the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, Playa or Grand Paraiso (adults-only). Riu & Iberostar are mega resorts... huge propeties with multiple dining options and both located on great beaches.

Level Contributor
4,549 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Torn between Cancun and Riviera Maya Area

I'm an Ibero fan above the Rius ~~~

Myself ~ I also prefer the south of Cancun. That's only a pref of some.

I hope you have a great timre whatever you choose,

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Torn between Cancun and Riviera Maya Area

I do what ginaj does...split the vacation. We have a timeshare exchange in Cancun (1 week) but booked our airfare for three weeks. In addition to Cancun I've filled in 5 nights in Isla Mujeres, 1 week in Playa del Carmen and still debating on the last three nights.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Torn between Cancun and Riviera Maya Area

I am also an Iberostar fan... Iberostar Paraiso Lindo and Maya accommodations are comparable to the Riu Palace level, more ala carte dining options, less of a hassle for reservations and more casual dress code (Riu now requires long pants for men even in the buffet at dinner!). Iberostar is a shorter drive to the airport, Rius are walking distance to downtown Playa; IMO the Riu Yucatan and Playacar are superior to the Ibeorstar Tucan or Quetzal for accommodation, food and service.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,336 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Torn between Cancun and Riviera Maya Area

do you want resorts side by side or more isolated (then not Cancun or PDC)