We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$2 bills

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
$2 bills

I bring and spend Pesos. However I also bring USD$ and have in the past used 2$ bills to cut down on the wad. Lately I been reading that the workers have a hard time getting that denomination exchanged. Any truth to that?

Wouldn't want to bring money they can't use!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $2 bills

It would be easier just to use Pesos as the Dollar is at 14.30 to 1 right now. Staff have to go to the Bank to get the best rate for USD. Banking here means waiting in line for a while. Plus there is a limit on your daily transfer of USD to MXN. Use a 20 peso note instead of a 2 dollar note, then everyone is happy.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 20:16
Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $2 bills

While it is true that people you give USD tips to need to go to a bank to either exchange it or make a deposit. However I have never had or heard a working complaining about any tips, a side from not getting one.

Also, if I run out of ones for tipping I just ask to buy some ones from the bar tenders tip jar in the lobby bar. They are more than happy to do it, at least that has been my experience.

Va
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $2 bills

$2 bill are no good anymore. Now they need $5 bills.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $2 bills

jhulsla, let me get this straight. First, your indicator of someone’s satisfaction or lack thereof is if a person doesn’t complain? If you’re rude to someone, and they don’t complain about it, then that is acceptable behavior?

Second, you buy “ones” from the workers? I assume by “ones” you’re referring to US single dollar bills? How are you buying these US singles? Using pesos, undoubtedly, unless you’re using Euros or pounds sterling to buy singles to tip in US currency instead of the currency of the country you are in?? Huh?????

What's in that Ithaca water?

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $2 bills

At the current exchange rate you would be better off to buy pesos at your bank before you go. The rate is over 14.30 pesos to a dollar. If you leave a $2 tip that is the same as over 28 pesos. The suggestion to leave a 20 peso tip is a good one in that it is less than $2 and would save you a little. In the past we have always taken $2 bills and never had a problem, but with the current exchange rate we are take pesos this year.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $2 bills

I do bring pesos, and spend pesos. However I sometimes find it difficult to get smaller notes and that's why I also take USD.

My question was do the workers have a problem exchanging 2$ bills????

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $2 bills

bellasogno- more like whats in the Milwaukee water...it's not too hard to understand what jhulsla means by " buying one's"....i.e. trades larger us bills for ones...not sure why you rattled off random nonsense about euros, pounds, or pesos..

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $2 bills

The currency of Mexico is the peso. Why wouldn't anyone use the currency of the country they're in?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $2 bills

I agree with just using pesos. I think people make this far more difficult than it needs to be. For example, people changing pounds or euros to dollars to spend in a country that uses the peso. Why not just change to pesos? $2 bills? I'd wonder if some wouldn't even take them. I've had trouble passing peso bills in Mexico that have torn corners -- imagine handing them a ratty old $2 bill!

I do agree that getting small bills can be a pain -- 20 peso bills seem to be impossible to come by when you need them. So I can kind of understand the point.

I bought pesos from my bank today at over 14/1 -- and I'm not traveling until September. Rates are great now, take advantage of it.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $2 bills

The British pound and the euro are dropping in value daily. If you use $ check with the local exchange to find out what the current value is.