We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much per day to budget "non all inclusive"

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
271 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
how much per day to budget "non all inclusive"

we are thinking off, the hyatt in cancun, for next years trip..

how much per day, should i budget for? drinks, lunch evening meals and treats etc!! we are a family of 4. 2adults and 2 young children..

where are not really botherd about trips. just a nice mexican holiday, thats not all inclusive...

thanks...

Edited: 06 June 2012, 19:28
Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: how much per day to budget "non all inclusive"

Seriously? Who would know? How much do you eat? What do you eat? Where will you eat? How much do you drink?What will you be drinking? Will you be shopping? Etc,Etc,Etc.

2. Re: how much per day to budget "non all inclusive"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 June 2012, 22:35
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,935 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much per day to budget "non all inclusive"

No need for hostility...the response is valid, since you can't purchase these items a la carte - and there is so much variety and budget ranges in Cancun. Let's say you go on the cheap - maybe $40-$50 a day. If you want something more moderate, maybe $50-$75. Nice restaurants are expensive, so your daily budget can easily surpass $100-$150. If you drink a lot, add more - $5-$6 for a beer, $9-$15 for a mixed drink or frozen drink.

Cancun is fully americanized, so I compare prices to a large US city, like Chicago or New York. But, saying that, more budget conscious offerings can still be found.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: how much per day to budget "non all inclusive"

Guess someone didn't like my thruthful answer? If you're staying at a non-all inclusive an spendthere is no telling how much money you can spend

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much per day to budget "non all inclusive"

Don't forget all those "incidentals": souvenirs, t-shirts, caps, film?, snacks, sodas/water, and just plain old what I call "walking around money". Then of course need money for tips. You may need to purchase meds or first-aid stuff (band-aids, aspirin), lotions, potions, lost sunglasses? AND by the way, this can apply to both AI's and non. What would you spend at home and then figure the same and more. You are going to want to do more and spend more - trust me. That's why they say pack half the clothes and double the money :)

Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: how much per day to budget "non all inclusive"

That's why they say pack half the clothes and double the money :)

Now that's the TRUTH! LOL

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much per day to budget "non all inclusive"

The restaurant prices are similar to the US or maybe a slight bit higher. I'm not sure how expensive the Hyatt is for food/drinks, you may want to ask someone who's stayed there. I would budget about $15-$20 for lunch for adults and dinner at a higher end restaurant would be $20-$45 for entree's.

Rising Sun, IN
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how much per day to budget "non all inclusive"

Hyatt Cancun...VERY Pricey!! Whew...with kids I'd only do all-inclusives now...food and drinks can kill your pocketbook very fast! Especially if you like good food and drinks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,336 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much per day to budget "non all inclusive"

really hard to predict. I would search around for online menus for your hotel and the restaurants near it, just to get a feel for typical hotel priced food. You might have to find mall restaurants for online prices. A site like Chowhound.com might have some links to restaurants with sites so you can get a feel for prices.

there are cheap buses for getting around Cancun (to downtown, or to the ferry for Isla Mujeres) - you dont have to take an expensive tour for everything. I highly recommend bringing the family to Chichen Itza or another closer ruin, regardless of the cost - it will be worth every penny. Cabs are also relatively inexpensive - just be sure to ask before the ride starts about the cost.

and, remember, 15% tips are typical for sit down meals in restaurants (not necessary at a taco stand or take out place). $1 per drink tip at a bar is acceptable. Daily tip for the housekeeper and anyone who provides services like bringing your luggage to your room.

suitcaseready.com

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
10. Re: how much per day to budget "non all inclusive"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 00:40