We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

At Cancun Palace Now

Level Contributor
1,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
At Cancun Palace Now

It has rained for 2 days (including today) but we had a beautiful first 2 days. Internet has been spotty but we got them to fix it in our room today. Big changes coming here. Having a good time despite the weather thanks to the wonderful staff. Any questions?

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: At Cancun Palace Now

Have a great vacation and I hope the weather gets better.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: At Cancun Palace Now

StarJm- Are they allowing visitors from other palace hotels, or not? If so when do they intend to stop it, if ever? Big Changes, give us a few. Do they have bands playing music during the day, or at night v.s DJ? Like Bob said have a blast for the remainder of the vacation!

Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: At Cancun Palace Now

Is it going to be rain all next week? Should I cancel my trip?

Chicago, il
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: At Cancun Palace Now

Do they have the lobby bar open

Chicago, Il.
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: At Cancun Palace Now

Can't wait to read your review later as we loved CP a couple years ago. Hope they don't change too much. Any word on when the construction and conversion will be complete? Have a great trip. And yes Namahshivay, you should cancel your trip due to the forecast.

Level Contributor
1,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: At Cancun Palace Now

I am sorry that I couldn't reply more while at the CP because of the spotty wi-fi and the iffy weather. Whenever it was sunny we were by the pool. We didn't get into town to shop due to some heavy rain & thunderstorms. We went to the presentation for the "Legendary membership". They start at about $50,000 for about 25 weeks and 25 match play weeks. A match play week is when you refer someone, you get one free or discounted week. The free week is only in the lowest season. Every other season there is an upcharge, but these match play weeks don't need to be used in the same year. They do give you equity credit for your existing memberships and you don't lose the other membership. Currently all the Hard Rock properties are only selling this membership. They don't even speak about the "Elite membership" upgrade that the Palace resorts are pushing. It seems the two owner brothers had a falling out. One was opposed to the Hard Rock takeover and the other was not. Those who have bought their membersips previously still have access to the Hard Rock properties as well and can still play at them all.

The beach has 3 areas set up. One area for anyone with regular beach chairs. One area roped off for VIP's with regular beach chairs and one other roped off area with luxurious beach beds for "Legendary Hard Rock Members". Those members that bought those mega memberships (100-200 weeks) can't even use them.

At night it was quite boring - nothing to do but drink. There were pool tables , foosball and pingpong set up, but no entertainment.

August 1 is the deadline for them to have the grand opening at the Hard Rock Cancun. Major construction going on. Every AM at 7, the nail banging and jackhammerring started. Thank goodness for earplugs. The lobby bar was open when we were there, but they were dismantling it as we left to create the new glitzy HRC bar. The Brazilian steakhouse should be open any day now. While we were there, the swimup bar at the activities side was closed. There was a band outside ONE day and I did not see any karaoke by the pool or inside. The weather I am sure was a factor, but everyone is so confused there. The Steakhouse was open one night in its usual location. One night we found it in one of the ball rooms. When we wanted to go, we asked where it was and was told it was on the 3rd floor terrace (not!). Later we found out they were using The Market (El Mercado) for it. It would be nice if there was communication there! We saw some great shows outside at the theater, but later in the week there was so much leakage from rain they changed the locations without letting anyone know. The Mexican show ended up iin a ballroom while the Circus and the Elvis show ended up in the downstairs lobby (former lobby bar, soon to be Brazilian).

The workers seem unsure about their futures and the changes. Hard Rock has a reputation to live up to.

Our room was on the 5th floor above the hot tubs where they are making the area look like a guitar. Our balcony was painted bright blue and when the rains came, the paint was bubbling. The TV broke, there were two unoperational ground fault interrupts that did not work. Light bulb burned out and the shower door would not stay closed. The safe brooke and the sliding glass door was very difficult to open. The internet was non-existent at first but they installed a repeater near the room. They actually fixed all but the shower door (they thought WD-40 would help!).

We had several photos taken by the pool with toucans and parrots. When we went to purchase them with our points, we were told that Palace was not giving them a cut anymore, so we could not use our points for these as we did in previous years! The Kodak people are outside vendors!

The lobster dinner was terrible and not worth the money. Mainly because it was in the "boiler room" where they give the presentations (they call it the Crystal room) and also because it was mediocre and not worth $350 in points or the 11% tax.

My only positive things to say about the vacation was the wonderful staff and the location, but I am so depressed now (as well as Cancun withdrawal) in missing my old favorite Cancun Palace. If you read all my previous posts you will know how much I have loved the CP so it really pains me to report this.

Anyway - back to reality! Any questions? My husband is writing a full trip report.

Chicago, Il.
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: At Cancun Palace Now

Wow, sorry to hear about all the negatives right now. We also loved the old CP.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: At Cancun Palace Now

This is very sad to hear. CP has been our favorite Palace Resort since we signed up in 2000. We are supposed to renew our vows in May 2013, and now I am wondering if I shouldn't choose Sun Palace instead.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: At Cancun Palace Now

Sorry

Level Contributor
1,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: At Cancun Palace Now

Keep an eye on the reviews. It could be great once Hard Rock is in place. They still have the great location and fantastic servers. I am going to give it one more try once it is finished. The transition was not fun and MANY members as well as travel agency guests were not told about the renovations. I guess there are many who don't consult TripAdvisor!