We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about weather this July because of Debby?? :S

Swift Current...
10 posts
Save Topic
Worried about weather this July because of Debby?? :S

Hello all -- I REALLY hope I get some experienced insight into this question. I am planning a trip to Cancun this July from the 10th to the 17th. So far the forecast on every website is thunderstorms and rain almost every day with the odd exception. I know Tropical Storm Debby recently passed by and caused alot of extra rain more than normal for Cancun in July... but I was wondering if we should be worried about the forecast? We love heat and humidity! Not so much being rained out :/ Anyone??

Our particular hotel is Oasis Sens.

Thanks so much!!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about weather this July because of Debby?? :S

What you talking about Willis??

Debby is affecting the gulf cost of the US not Mexico.

So far the weather is pretty nice down here.

If there's going to be rain it will be caused by another system passing by .. but that my friend we don't know yet.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about weather this July because of Debby?? :S

So far the forecast on every website is thunderstorms and rain almost every day with the odd exception"

The forecast does not say that, read it again. T-storms are short lived events. Chances of rain like 60% or 20% and words like scattered or isolated do not imply rain almost everyday.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about weather this July because of Debby?? :S

July 10 - 17 is too far out for anyone to forecast what the weather will be with with any degree of accuracy. Heck, they often get the next day's forecast wrong here in Calgary!

Do you have "cancel for any reason" insurance? If so, then perhaps you should reschedule your vacation to a less rainy time of year. Of course, even then, there's no guarantee that you won't get rained on at all. Perhaps you could consider changing your vacation entirely to somewhere that rarely gets rain - maybe southern Arizona?

If you don't have insurance that would allow you to cancel, then why fret about the weather at all? There's absolutely nothing you can do about it and whilst Katzgar is right, the odds are you will NOT have rain all day for several days, it does happen on occasion.

If you are unlucky enough to have inclement weather for several days on your vacation, jmost resorts are pretty good at providing rainy day activities. Otherwise, you're just going to have to make the best of it.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Swift Current...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about weather this July because of Debby?? :S

Katzgar - I have been using the weather network app on my iphone as well as visiting accuweather.com and yes, they do indicate rain/thunderstorms almost every day for our trip -- I dont need to "read it again" --

accuweather.com/en/… Check it out if you want to see my resource.

You could be more tasteful in your replies with regards to your meteorology lessons... I am asking whether or not the rain forecast should worry us about the dates we chose. Not whether or not I'm literate. Thanks! :)

Swift Current...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about weather this July because of Debby?? :S

Thank you for your insight Llisa!

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about weather this July because of Debby?? :S

how in the world can you make a statement like this that it caused more rain then normal for July when we are still in June?

" I know Tropical Storm Debby recently passed by and caused alot of extra rain more than normal for Cancun in July"

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about weather this July because of Debby?? :S

July 11 forecasts a 55% chance of rain day and a 35%chance for night, that is roughly 50 50 and not not a forecast for rain every day. Other days during your time frame are similar so according to accuweather the forecast is mostly 50/50 for precip most days during your time frame.

Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about weather this July because of Debby?? :S

That is 16 days away for God's sake,so you can read it at least 16 more times and get 16 different forcasts.Don't believe everything you read for that far in advance

Edited: 24 June 2012, 16:19
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about weather this July because of Debby?? :S

We have a few rules dont here :

1) Dont drink Corona

2) Dont eat at AI buffets

3) Never pay attention to the weather forecast.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried about weather this July because of Debby?? :S

Words to live by Rico, words to live by ..... especially #1.