We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancun car rental - beware Hertz

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
cancun car rental - beware Hertz

very bad experience renting from Hertz at cancun airport. They ignored our reservation and browbeat us about the insurance. On returning the car, they tried to charge us for pre-existing damage and only backed off when we showed that we had a video of the whole car taken before we drove away. We ended up paying double the amount we had agreed to online ahead of time.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,839 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancun car rental - beware Hertz

Make a complaint with your credit card company.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cancun car rental - beware Hertz

Thanks, yes, I have filed a dispute . I also have complained directly to Hertz. No resolution yet.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,832 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cancun car rental - beware Hertz

Sorry for your experience Peregryn. Unfortunately, similar stories about all the rental agencies abound and it's too bad that you didn't find Trip Advisor before your vacation because you would have been forewarned (and thus forearmed).

On the bright side, I guess you weren't a victim of La Mordida or the gas station scam.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cancun car rental - beware Hertz

Ity seems to me from reading many postings that this on-going problem with this franchise.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancun car rental - beware Hertz

I had a bad experience with an 18% airport fee charge that was neither disclosed by Expedia on my reservation nor when I called Expedia Customer Servie in advance of my reservation to ask about total charges. My advice is as follows:

1) Know your rate and estimated charges in both pesos and USD when you arrive--you will be approving these with initials before you get the keys to your car

2) Call in advance and specifically about the 18% airport fee to see if they expect to charge you that fee

3) Decline all CDW and LDW if your credit card company provides this coverage for you.

4) If you are more than 20 miles inside Mexico, accept the personal liability insurance but confirm what the charges will be in advance.

5) Base Rate + Personal Liability Ins + CDW/LDW + Taxes/Fee= the amount you will pay

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cancun car rental - beware Hertz

"3) Decline all CDW and LDW if your credit card company provides this coverage for you."

Very bad advise to tell other's to drive in Mexico without mexican coverage.

US Credit Card coverage does not wire money to you in Mexico when you have to pay damages for an accident.

Black Hills of...
Level Contributor
756 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cancun car rental - beware Hertz

I agree with Dan_Kom. While your credit card MAY say you are covered, that would only be for reimbursment for any charges made as Mexico does not recognise insurance from other countries. You will be liable for damages owed, and unless you have a bunch of cash or a high limit on your credit card (if it's one that is even usable in Mexico - I know my Discover won't work there) you won't be able to leave until you pay up!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cancun car rental - beware Hertz

"3) Decline all CDW and LDW if your credit card company provides this coverage for you."

This is very very bad advice and a recipe for disaster should you have an accident.

Edited: 06 August 2012, 20:14
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cancun car rental - beware Hertz

Thanks to you all for chiming in on this,

hmm. It's true, I should have done more research ... lesson learned. It turns out we really have no recourse, but the only extra charge was third-party insurance.

Hertz agent said, this is an independent franchise and Corporate has no jurisdiction over what they do. But they can use the Hertz name, logo, reputation, etc... Also apparently it's common knowledge that tourists get (his words) "bent over" by mexican car rental agencies. My story was very mild according to him.

I am confused about the insurance. My credit card covers rental situations as long as all other coverage is declined. That's what we were trying to do ... but they ended up charging us for third-party insurance. Which seems to mean that the credit card insurance was void. So we went for a week basically un-insured except for third-party damages?

Next time I rent a car abroad I will be a lot more prepared.

Thanks again...

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cancun car rental - beware Hertz

Thanks for the follow up and your conclusions which will help others make informed decisions . Many people shop for rental cars through a third party search engine that gives base prices for companies that aren't actually bound by the code of conduct associated with the big name and with no way to view insurance price options . I only rent from companies with full insurance information availablle on line for the country in question . In general full insurance costs as much or more than the daily rental rate posted and if it doesn't that should be a red flag to consumers .