We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving the Riu Palace Las Americas at night...

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving the Riu Palace Las Americas at night...

A friend of mine just got back from his honeymoon and they claim that the hotel staff told everyone not to go off the resort to the clubs whatsoever at night time. He said the hotel staff said that the police were giving people a hard time and fined a couple $120 each for walking to the club area at night or something. I don't believe this.

I was just there in December and a few of us went off the resort on two different nights without any problems. Is anything going on down there in that particular area?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving the Riu Palace Las Americas at night...

I just find that very very hard to believe. If you buy into it, then lock yourself in your room, and look through the curtains from time to time.

Edited: 14 July 2012, 04:52
Barnsley
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving the Riu Palace Las Americas at night...

The police are taxing people occasionly if your vunerable or extremely unlucky one night. However after staying at a few RIUs I think the entertainment staff scare monger to get you to go off complex with them. They aren't going to get a cut of the night club fees if you go it alone.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
787 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving the Riu Palace Las Americas at night...

We were there in may, & walked around at night with no prob bk to the rpla, but a group of guests that were there told us that heading bk to rpla from coco bongo, one of the guys needed a wee ( & cd not wait ), any way he went down a side alley, after coming our was spotted by Mexican police who made him pay 600 pesos, if he didn't they were arresting him on drug charges, ( he didn't have drugs but didn't want the bother), after paying & walking away, the group ( in their 40s), watched the police sharing the money!!

.. ...... Just be carefull!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving the Riu Palace Las Americas at night...

Like I said I didn't have any problems in December which is why I was shocked to hear about all that stuff.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving the Riu Palace Las Americas at night...

Sarah...Public urination is illegal...600 pesos is cheap compared to what could have happened.

I have walked around at night with my girlfriends (up to 2am) in the area around the Riu Palace many times and have not had problems except for lots of taxi drivers stopping to ask if we wanted a ride. We were asked several times if we wanted to buy drugs...which we declined and also illegal. If you are just walking around, shopping, going to visit clubs, restaurants, etc. you will be fine...just stay away from the illegal stuff. Ending up in a Mexican jail is not fun, so I hear.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
787 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving the Riu Palace Las Americas at night...

I agree, I was just posting what had happened to others, I felt totally safe there myself...

7. Re: Leaving the Riu Palace Las Americas at night...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 19:18