We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temptation resort ...... Can you go just to chill out ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Temptation resort ...... Can you go just to chill out ?

We have been to Mexico 5 times and were looking at coming back december 11th and staying at Riu palace peninsula , but we are now going to Riu palace bavaro 23rd oct, for 2 weeks, so we are now looking for a cheaper option in cancun. How bad is temptation for swinging etc ? cause we really like the beaches there , the fact that it's modern and the food looks good. We are not at all into the swinging side of things and wouldn't want to join in with the games etc. can we go just to chill out ? Thanks

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,273 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temptation resort ...... Can you go just to chill out ?

Tons of posts here and a very active forum - yes, you can go and chill out:

cancuncare.com/forum/…

and there's the numerous reviews here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150807-d154428…

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,620 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temptation resort ...... Can you go just to chill out ?

We haven't been there in YEARS but the place is the same-even the staff is the same (per recent photos)....We did not run into a single swinger that we noticed and we did not notice any sexual activities- not even making out from patrons UNLESS you went to their nightly shows where they get couples to do crazy stuff in front of everyone as a joke.

London, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temptation resort ...... Can you go just to chill out ?

Ok thankyou. Our other option is great Parnassus

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temptation resort ...... Can you go just to chill out ?

Id go with Great Parnassus... Temptation had no appeal to us whatsoever, its set up more like college dorm buildings not a resort and the beach is pretty much non existant from the sea wall with too many boats; dont get it confused with the beach at the Riu def not the same.

Yes you can chill out with any participation, but the games at the pool daily and evening lobby bar get tired after a few days; it all depends on the type (age) of crowd. The only positive was the food, and the cost.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 21:09
Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temptation resort ...... Can you go just to chill out ?

OMG take Temptations WAY before you ever consider Great Parnassus.

Unless you want the Disney Land of resorts, with crying, screaming, running around KIDS taking up every square inch of almost everything. (They do have an adult pool and bar at the Great Parnassus -- but it overlooks the lagoon and a golf course, not the beach)

You CAN just chill at Tempations. You can find a place around the pool away from the games, or there is a sports pool -- or the beach.

A lot of people say the beach isn't good. I had no problem with the beach. Soft white sand, nice ocean, etc. There IS a marina with boats off to the side, actually next door. I just thought it made for a more interesting view, myself.

We've been there twice. I like trying new resorts, so I probably wouldn't go back there anytime soon -- but that is one of the resorts I WOULD go back to, along with the RIU chain, and Grand Palladium. (south of Cancun)

There is another option -- the GOLDEN Parnassus. That is an adults only resort, and we LOVED IT. Its a smaller property, and you don't need reservations for the dinner options. You just have to be careful with this one, because they like to overbook, and then send you down to the Great Parnassus, with all the brats, I mean -- kids.

oklahoma
Level Contributor
653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temptation resort ...... Can you go just to chill out ?

agree with Sunny&Bright.... heading back for the 7th time next week. It is a very livey place but they do have a quiet pool and the beach area if you want away from the music and games.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temptation resort ...... Can you go just to chill out ?

Sorry I also meant the adult only Parnassus, but I would also find family with kids easier to deal with than the constant adult oriented entertainment by the pool at Temptaions during the day, at night it gets pretty tired after awhile; topless, clothing optional and mature is one thing but add some drinking and sometimes it can become vulgur. Also in the same price range the Melia, Omni, Barcelo, Crown Paradise, Flamingo, Oasis Viva & El Presidient; OV & EP are walking distance to area restaurants and nightlife; EP has the nicest and most popular beach! Good luck.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temptation resort ...... Can you go just to chill out ?

Vulgur to some is funny and amusing to others, I guess. I never said I was very mature, LOL. I'm going on 50, and would still have a blast at Temptations.

Last time we went, we brought friends. I thought they'd have some hangups about it, possibly --- but I figured we could hang out at the beach or whatever, if it was all too much for them to handle.

Imagine my surprise when he jumped right into the sports pool to participate in Strip Volleyball. I'm sorry - but that was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. : )

S3x is not condoned or encouraged -- or is swinging. It may go on behind the scenes, but not in public places. There are just dumb games, innuendo, and the like. Someone referred to it as a frat party for 40-year olds, and I guess it kind of is. The one thing I like is that everyone is so happy and friendly here - and you will never run out of people to meet and drink with, LOL.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temptation resort ...... Can you go just to chill out ?

We didn't see any swinging going on when we were at Temptations for New Years; we almost didn't survive the food though, and this is someone who's been to Cuba 27 times. Hygience and over all cleanliness was a issue too, we went through something like 4 rooms over the course of the week (they were over booked and kept bumping us) and they seemed to yet grosser as the week went on. Also found at least 50% of the staff to be RUDE. Maybe try Grand Oasis, at least it's on a gorgeous stretch of beach. The beach at Tempations wasn't great either, a disppointment for Cancun.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 15:30
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temptation resort ...... Can you go just to chill out ?

I think it all depends on the crowd, there are some good and bad reports on behavior; and much nicer properties in the same price range to consider.