We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican Departure Tax

Hartlepool...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mexican Departure Tax

I've been told by my tour operator that this tax is not included in the cost and is approximately 785 pesos per person, but they were unable to tell me if you pay this for children in the party. I have a 12 year old and a 1 year old traveling with us, does anyone know about kids?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,517 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexican Departure Tax

Your 12 year old definatately pays, not sure about the 1 year old. Do they have their own seat?

Hartlepool...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexican Departure Tax

My one year old doesn't have his own seat, he is sat on my lap during flight

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexican Departure Tax

Wini - the general consensus seems to be be that if children have a seat then they pay but I would have the money just in case - even if you keep it in sterling (£45 approx) then you won't have to worry about left over pesos.

Current tax is 800 pesos or £45 (approx) per person.

Payson, il
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexican Departure Tax

i thought that this tax was included in the cost of the airline ticket

Hartlepool...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexican Departure Tax

Thanks everyone for your help :)

Payson, il
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexican Departure Tax

looks like it is included unless you are flying in a personal plane or on jetblue...might call your airline just to make sure

Hartlepool...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexican Departure Tax

We are booked with thomas cook and they have confirmed NOT included in price but couldn't say if we had to pay it for children in the party.

dorset
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexican Departure Tax

scheduled i.e. Virgin or BA no departure tax, already included in cost of flight ticket. Chartered i.e. Thomson, First Choice, TC has to be paid on departing Cancun airport, and from the sounds of it has gone up considerably, worked out approx £36 each last year.

Carmarthen, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexican Departure Tax

just returned with thomson and it was £45 sterling or you can pay in pesos.happy holiday

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexican Departure Tax

Cheaper paying in pesos by up to 7 quid per person! People were paying £40 in September when we left last year.