We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we cancel over Ernesto?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should we cancel over Ernesto?

This is our first time in Mexico and we're leaving Wednesday to Maya Riviera. I'm worried it be will be raining non stop and we won't get to enjoy the sun - the only reason why we're going on vacation is to go to the beach.

I know it's hard to tell what the weather will be like, and I know there are tons of topics about the "hurricane", but I really don't want to waste $2600 on a vacation where I won't see the sun.

Thoughts, please?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,447 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we cancel over Ernesto?

I understand your concern but you did realise that you were booking during the rainy season, no?

If you want a better likelihood of a vacation with no rain at all, I'd politely suggest you consider a drier (e.g. desert) location - Arizona or Nevada perhaps? Or, if you've deeper pockets, perhaps Dubai?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we cancel over Ernesto?

I don't mind rain.. just as long as it's not raining all day. Usually in the Caribbean, it rains for 10 minutes then stops.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we cancel over Ernesto?

Currently Ernesto is forecast now by the NHC to be a Tropical Storm (not a hurricane) at landfall far south of Cancun. If the current NHC forecast holds, some rain, wind and rough surf may occur in the Northern Yucatan for a day or more, maybe not, but the forecast is subject to change.

Frankly, the whether to go or not question is a personal one, given one's own willingness and risk factor. The risk of rain is always there whether it's the tropical storm season or not.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we cancel over Ernesto?

if your airline flies you fly

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we cancel over Ernesto?

Unless you have cancel for any reason insurance or for work and can get your office to provide the documentation I think what Katzgar says stands- or unless you bought fully refundable tickets which, based on the price you quoted is possible but not probable. Before you make any decisions check any terms of tickets or reservation, or terms of travel insurance in the case of a named storm in the absence of a cancel any reason rider. Then check the forecasts. If it comes and goes before you arrive or right at the beginning decide what that first day or two are worth. I've been a couple places during or right after a hurricane and typically the days after are beautiful- couldn't ask for prettier. The issue is how much damage is left in the quake of the storm. So take the storm's predicted strength into consideration as well. Best of luck with your decision.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we cancel over Ernesto?

My opinion is that the threat is less than projected yesterday. Think carefully with current info before canceling or rescheduling.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we cancel over Ernesto?

The latest track has it going into Belize. If so you should have great weather & colorfull sunsets. Should be past by Thursday AM.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we cancel over Ernesto?

wunderground.com/tropical/…at201205.html

Fort Drum, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we cancel over Ernesto?

If im willing to go you should too!! Im not wasting money or fun on a light hurricane i arrive tuesday if the airline flys me in i have never been in a hurricane but its going to be a cat 1 sounds to me like a fun parasailing trip lol

10. Re: Should we cancel over Ernesto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 08:15