We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth upgrading to Thomson premium seats on flight?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth upgrading to Thomson premium seats on flight?

Hi, I'm trying to decide whether or not to upgrade to premium seats on our flight to Mexico in January. I have read a couple of general poor reviews about people's experiences of upgrading and I wondered if anyone on here had recent first hand experience of the premium seats on flights to Mexico. Thanks

glas scotland
Level Contributor
869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth upgrading to Thomson premium seats on flight?

its a lot of money for not a lot, the seat pitch is good n general if you want the extra leg room book the (blieve it or not) the extra leg room seats they ar only £70 as apposed to £220, you can upgrage the entertaiment package for £5pp.

the only thing you miss out on tis the "free" drinks and the upgraded menue.

save your cash and spend it once you get there, for wehe you are on the way back it is a night flight more than likley you will be having a nap.

Aberdeen Scotland
Level Contributor
259 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth upgrading to Thomson premium seats on flight?

We upgraded last month and was great...although i only had three drinks the whole flight!!

We had a phone call day after the balance of holiday was due and we were offered the upgrade at a lower price. If we hadn't been offered it at a lesser price we wouldnt have bothered.

Word of advice though.....

When you get to Cancun and you get your 'trip' info booklet from your rep it does offer upgrades for flight home (subject to avalibility) 2 for 1.

Think it has to be done no less than five days of your flight X

Johnstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth upgrading to Thomson premium seats on flight?

Personally I think it's a rip off unless you are over 6ft and need the extra space.

I'd far rather spend the £400 in Cancun on excursions, nice meals and some beers.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth upgrading to Thomson premium seats on flight?

I wouldn't go long haul unless we can upgrade. To me it is part of the holiday experience. I love the separate check-in queue as well. There can be huge variations in the cost though - we have paid from £99 each to £249 each.

Saw some of the upgrades next year were £349!

Only you can say if it's worth it but I always include it in my holiday cost/budget

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth upgrading to Thomson premium seats on flight?

We went in normal economy and were really impressed by how much space we had (we were in a section of 2 seats to the side). Okay we didn't get free drinks but we just took bottles of water with us from the airport. I'm so glad we didn't pay the extra to upgrade.

Wales united kingdom
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth upgrading to Thomson premium seats on flight?

Advice please wish seats to book with Thompson premium seats from Manchester to Montego Bay

Many thanks

Kathy

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
234 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth upgrading to Thomson premium seats on flight?

Hi regengirl

It is a matter of personal opinion. We travelled to cancun 2011 for our 25th anniversary & my 50th b'day & upgraded to Premium. For us the whole experience was worth the extra £350 odd each - swift & easy check-in, increased luggage allowance (bring lots of tequila home!!!) dedicated crew on board, free drinks (ex champagne) throughout flight, bigger choice of meal, really comfy seats with wrap round headrest, great legroom, on-demand entertainment, dimmed mood lighting & a quieter environment etc etc. We are going back in July for my wifes' 50th & have booked upgrade again (hopefully on dreamliner with even better cabin, but not looking likely). For us it is a celebration trip again BUT having enjoyed the cabin last time we would have booked it again anyway. Hope it helps

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
234 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth upgrading to Thomson premium seats on flight?

oops!!! only just noticed this forum was last year lol

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
37,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth upgrading to Thomson premium seats on flight?

Hi Kathy,

My favoured seats in Premium are Row 3A/B or Row 4A/B as you have the Premium washroom on that side of the aircraft and if your sitting on the other side of the aircraft the crew will not allow you through the Galley while they are working or taking their breaks......you have to then walk back and through the economy cabin to get up the aisle on the Port side of the aircraft to the washroom.

Angie.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth upgrading to Thomson premium seats on flight?

I'd say yes.

Travelled to Cuba last year and went Premium. Me and my eldest are 6' + so the wider seats with extra room were great.

The express check in and speedy boarding were excellent and there were 4 hostess servicing so you never waited for anything.

If you have the spare cash I'd do it. We've done lots of long haul and if you can afford it it's great, easiest 10hr flight for us.

We're using thomas cook this trip to Cancun and if they'd had it available we'd have booked it like a shot.