We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency and tips for cancun

Sheffield, England...
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
currency and tips for cancun

I am flying out in September and am concerned about which currency is the most useful and how much in tips for the bar/restaurant/beach/housekeeping staff.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency and tips for cancun

The national currency in Mexico is the peso. It is accepted everywhere.

Although many establishments will accept dollars, they will exchange them at a rate that is very favorable to them (and not to you), making your purchases as much as 25-30% more expensive.

Ohio
Level Contributor
570 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency and tips for cancun

Tips are based upon what you are comfortable with. I usually go with $1 for bar/restaurant/beach and $2 - $3 for housekeeping and fridge restock. The extra $$ for the restock person goes a long way in getting extras, especially bottled water!

UK
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: currency and tips for cancun

I am going in september too and I was told the Mexican Peso is better to take than the US Dollar as you get a better exchange rate & value for money.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency and tips for cancun

hi sonia

we recommend peso, usd is still used probably more but dont forget the place is 90% americans.

tipping is such an emotive subject, the americans come from that culture where they pay their waiters and bars staff a pittance and expect joe public to make their wage up, unlike us in the u.k. who pay a live able wage then the tip is based on quality of product and service.

the mexican people are beautiful and will look after you tip or not but believe me tipping does get better service, if you do however get bad service certainly dont tip.

having said all that we stay at the golden parnassus where the service is second to none so we tip loads, money, and man utd football shirts to our favorites,

barry and mary

5. Re: currency and tips for cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 14:17