We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something to do a day away from Cancun

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
minneapolis
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Something to do a day away from Cancun

We are going to Cancun for a wedding at an all-inclusive hotel in October. We want to check out early Saturday and go/ stay someplace else before we head back on Sunday.

Where should we go? We'll be doing plenty of beaching in Cancun so we wouldn't mind a little adventure. Maybe Tulum or Chichenitza? We've done ziplining a few times and are looking for something else (hiking, seeing ruins, kayaking, visiting a nature preserve, etc). Any 'musts'?

Thanks!

kansas city
Level Contributor
254 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something to do a day away from Cancun

There are almost too many to list.

I have been to all of these places.

1. Chichen Itza - one of the 7 wonders of the world. Good things, marvel at the great buildings. Bad things can't climb the pyramid any more, a lot of vendors and crowds. A long trip from Cancun, about 3 hours.

2. Ek Balam - small ruins about 2 hours away. Pyramid 120 ft, higher then Chichen that I think you can still climb.

3. Xcaret - an excellent nature preserve. Turtle farm, butterfly farm and a lot more. A nice beach for snorkeling or relaxing.

I am sure that there will be a lot of replies.

Have a nice trip.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something to do a day away from Cancun

Isla Mujeres makes a nice day trip. Get over to the ferry, cross and rent a golf cart for the day ($50). Swim, hike the shore, visit the towns, Turtle Farm, several parks, snorkel, shop , eat.

Edited: 15 August 2012, 20:01
Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something to do a day away from Cancun

I second the Isla recommendation. Driving the Golf Cart is an adventure in itself. Fun place!

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something to do a day away from Cancun

It seems you have a sense of exploration and adventure...

Maybe you could check out edventure tours.

They seem to get excellent reviews here on TA.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,148 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something to do a day away from Cancun

Another vote for Isla Mujeres and getting a golf cart and exploring the island.

new jersey
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Something to do a day away from Cancun

Another vote for Isla Mujeres. You probably won't want to leave. Have fun

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Something to do a day away from Cancun

I would head south and see Tulum, Akumal and a cenote, stay at a neat little place in Tulum. It's still, for the most part, off the grid and way different then cancun. So laid back and chill! The vibe is the best!!! Plus it's close to all the cool stuff that the RM offers!

Happy travels!!!

Edited: 15 August 2012, 20:43
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Something to do a day away from Cancun

A lot might depend on when your flight departs. Plan on being at the airport 3 hours prior. Really.

Factoring that in, figure about 5 hours from Tulum; 4 from Akumal, 3 from Playa Del Carmen, 1 from Puerto Morelos, 1-2 from Isla Mujeres (ferry departure time involved) - maybe WIBS can give better info.

All the suggestions above ARE good and should be considered for your next trip :) if you can't do this one.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,148 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Something to do a day away from Cancun

Cormac’s got a excellent point about your departure time. It might also depend on how you plan on getting around…rental car, bus, private transfer etc.

From Isla Mujeres…I agree…ferry crossing takes around 20 minutes and then it’s another 30-45 to the airport.

And ITA..all of those places are great!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Something to do a day away from Cancun

Take the bus to Valladolid. See a more "real" Mexican city with cathedrals, town square, etc. The bus is cheap and takes about two hours from downtown Cancun. Spend the night in one of the hotels there, and you are also very close to Ek Balam, and a couple of cenotes. There is a cenote right in town (Zaci).