We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

Minnesota
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

Heading to Cancun in 7 days!!!!!! Looking to get off the resort several times, and we are contemplating a day trip to either cozumel or Isla Mujeres. Can anyone give a quick run down of each: ease of getting there, things to do, etc? I am looking for fantastic snorkeling a little sightseeing, while my friend I am traveling with could care less about sightseeing and wants to lay on the beach all day. Trying to find a happy medium. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! We are staying at the Royal Sands.

Thanks in advance!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

The easy trip wold be Isla Mujeres!! Rent a golf cart, bring beach towels and tour the 7 mile diameter island.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

Isla is where you want to go, much more to do, alot less time getting to Isla The snorkling is a toss up but I like Isla or Puorto Morelos better. Why, becasue although the reef is much bigger in Cosumel, they are much further below the ocean surface.. Cozumel 2 1/2 hrs to get there. Puerto Morelos 1/2 hour, Isla 45 minutess to hour.

Keller Tx.
Level Contributor
224 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

I would HIGHLY recommend the Dolphin Discovery excursion.

Garrfon park down the road was OK but we were to rushed to do it and the dolphin deal. You get to do several different deals with dolpins up close but the fun part is where you get to let them push you out of the water while you are floating face down, get pushed on a boogie board, they pull you while you hold on to their fins, they will come out of the water on each side of you and push you straight up in the air while you are doing a "karate kid" type pose..............lots more. Omar our dolphin trainer made it a super day.

There is also a buffet lunch included, and free drinks. If someone wanted to

lay on the beach there is an area for that also while you are waiting for your boat back to Cancun. I agree CZM is too far and too expensive, you need to do that excursion on a Playa del Carmen stay or stay on CZM and scuba dive because CANCUN scuba diving can not compare.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

More to do, less expensive and closer to go to isla, Cozumel has more reefs (less beach) isla a better combination of both; snorkeling, sightseeing, shopping available at either and both small enough to get around within a day by jeep in coz or golf carts in isla on your own or taxi from the ferry ports... It's also very easy and inexpensive to go to isla on your own by ferry vs a chartered tour and on your own schedule, cozumel will be more with the addition of transportation to the ferry in downtown playa del Carmen.

malta
Level Contributor
75 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

I am looking ta spend 4 days in isla mujeres !!! and i am thinging witch island is the best for relaxing after 14 days in miami and 8 nights at cancun !! and after i am going to playa del carmen !! witch one is the best and cheep Cozumel or Isla Mujeres ??? Thanks for your help !!!

klejofa malta europppppppppppppp :)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,424 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

"Isla is where you want to go, much more to do"

Afraid I disagree with that. IM is much closer to Cancun and an easier trip but I doubt it has much more to do.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

Isla

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

hi hami0152

we have had many a good trip to isla but believe me the snorkling is nothing to right home about. imo its very ordinary

barry and mary

9. Re: Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 11:17