We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I cancel my vacation to Mexico Cancun

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
Save Topic
Should I cancel my vacation to Mexico Cancun

Hello,

I have a question, I hope someone can help me out here. I booked a vacation to Cancun for one week and I should be leaving on the 28 of August. I looked at the forecast today and seemes that I have 4 days out of 7 that is raining.

Can someone tell me if the rain in cancun holds on the whole day or just some moments?

Hope someone can help me out here :)

Regards,

Elizabeta

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I cancel my vacation to Mexico Cancun

look at the forecast again this time for comprehension. pay attention to what chances ( %) are given and words like scattered and isolated.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I cancel my vacation to Mexico Cancun

Here is a link to an older thread (but still good) that applies all year:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k31944…

Even though it is Playa, still good input for Cancun.

Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I cancel my vacation to Mexico Cancun

hello thanks for your feedback. Thing is that I see now there will be T-storms and showers and the % that are given are 60% and 40% so i really don't yet know what to do! Can anyone please advise me please? Is there anyone there for the moment?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I cancel my vacation to Mexico Cancun

Elizabeta..... remain calm, everyone is trying to tell you that it ALMOST ALWAYS says chance of rain in Cancun. We always go over Labor Day each year and going again next weekend, it ALMOST ALWAYS say chance of rain.... sometimes it rains for a few minutes, sometimes it rains for an hour and then full sunshine, sometimes it DOES NOT RAIN AT ALL even though the forecast says rain that day....... now, can it rain all day sometimes.... yes, just like everywhere, but we have only encountered hot and sunny weather the past three Labor Days...... AND in case I forgot to say it.... it ALMOST ALWAYS says chance of rain in Cancun..... bring plenty of sunscreen !

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,832 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I cancel my vacation to Mexico Cancun

60% means there is a 60% chance that it will rain at some point during the day. It does NOT mean that it will rain for 60% of the day. Moreoever, it also means that there's a 40% chance that it won't rain at all.

At this time of year, it's not unusual to get a sprinkle of rain - and by that I mean a brief (5 minutes or less) shower. I was just in this area of Mexico a couple of weeks ago. To the best of my recollection, the forecast was 60% rain all week. We had rain on two consecutive days - the first day was a light shower that lasted less than two minutes. The second day was just awful (*insert sarcasm*) - it rained quite hard for all of five minutes. The rest of the week was sunny and gorgeous.

If you want more of a weather guarantee with your vacation, I would politely suggest you choose somewhere other than a tropical destination during the rainy season - somewhere in the desert, e.g. Las Vegas or Dubai, perhaps?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,839 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I cancel my vacation to Mexico Cancun

Other than tropical storms, step away from the computer for weather forecasts.

For tropical storms, read and understand the info at

nhc.noaa.gov

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I cancel my vacation to Mexico Cancun

Unfortunately it is a higher chance of rain this time of year. It may not rain at all or you may get quite a bit of rain. No one on this board will be able to tell you other than provide you the links which people have very kindly done. If you are very worried you might want to look into changing your vacation to a time where there is less chance of rain but there is ALWAYS a chance you could end up there at a time when a storm rolls through. Prices this time of year are a bit better because of the chance of rain/ tropical storms. It's that whole cost/ benefit thing people have to do when making plans. Lower prices but higher chance of rain; it's a really tough choice. Good luck with your decision. Unfortunately no one really can know for sure nor can they make your decision for you.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I cancel my vacation to Mexico Cancun

HAve been to Cancun many times of the year. It almost always says 40 to 60% chance of rain. Yes it may rain for a little while but unless a hurricane is coming do not worry about it.

Cancun
Level Contributor
488 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I cancel my vacation to Mexico Cancun

Ditto what all the previous posters said.

My advice: Don't even look at the forecast unless there's some sort of hurricane/large storm system on its way.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,921 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I cancel my vacation to Mexico Cancun

Bottom line.......don't cancel, go on your vacation as planned.............