We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets The Vine - Room choices preferred or not preferred?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets The Vine - Room choices preferred or not preferred?

I currently have two reservations on hold with the secrets the vine in cancun. Deluxe Ocean View and Club Junior Suite with Ocean View. The price difference is about $350 for a week.

I've read reviews saying preferred is a rip off and others saying it's worth to splurge the extra money - totally confused. The details I've read (on Facebook, hotel website, and TA) are really high-level and don't give out too many details.

Outside of a larger room and private pool, what is the real difference? What different alcohol do you get as a preferred guest? Is the preferred pool any better than the other pools? What are the extra amenities that one gets as preferred?

In the end I know $350 isn't much for the week - however, in the past I have fallen for VIP type packages which didn't offer much except a title (which I could care less about). In the end - i could spend that money on tips and spa treatments instead.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

texas
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets The Vine - Room choices preferred or not preferred?

$350 more is a lot to me. If you go on their facebook page several people have posted what the preferred level includes. I know you get better bath products and 3 small bottles of liquor in the mini fridge and they serve Grey Goose and Absolute in the bars on the preferred level. We'll be there Friday and if it doesn't cost a lot to upgrade we may do it.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
39 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets The Vine - Room choices preferred or not preferred?

If you want the higher floor, book the preffered. You don't get any of the other things. You do get the three small bottles of liqour worth under 10$ and some bath stuff that I didn't find impressive. The pool is a joke, there is no lounge or an upgraded place to get top shelf.

Edited: 12 September 2012, 12:55
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets The Vine - Room choices preferred or not preferred?

If you visit during high season it would be worth it because you have another pool, bar, etc.....if the resort is not busy than maybe not. Extra $50 per day is not unreasonable for the "club" package.

Smithers
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets The Vine - Room choices preferred or not preferred?

There is a big difference between a deluxe room and a Junior Suite. A deluxe room is the Vine's sytle of a basic hotel room. A Junior Suite is the next class of room up and I believe it is about 300 sq ft bigger.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets The Vine - Room choices preferred or not preferred?

@summervac - can you let me know if you decide to upgrade.

@Rhonda - outside of the additional seating space, is there anything else different i.e. bathroom or better view?

Thanks all

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets The Vine - Room choices preferred or not preferred?

Latest reviews and posts mentioning that guests who don't book preferred are being treated like second class citizens. The only decent loungers are apparently at the preferred pool. Even Absolut Vodka is considered "premium" by them and only given to "preferred" guests. Only preferred guests are allowed to have alcohol in their rooms apparently.

They have a long long way to go to compete with Le Blanc or The Royal.

We are still going in February but I have a feeling there wont be any repeat visits.

Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets The Vine - Room choices preferred or not preferred?

We even had Absolute in our room at the Sun Palace! Plus we're treated like royalty from the time we arrive until we leave (no second class anything).

It's so confusing when a resort offers so many different room categories - you have to check out room size, balcony(ies), view, bed size, amenites, upgrades, floor level, etc. ~ way way too much for me.

While Secrets sounds fantastic and the price was affordable before they opened, now it's out of our price range.

Personally, I like to know the category I'm getting before I go - I don't like to try and upgrade when I get there - so I'll just pay for the room I want. But at Secrets, I can't even decide what room I might want as there are just too many things to consider.

Don't get me wrong ~ if I had the funds, I'd be in the Preferred Master Suite at Secrets - but for now, I like the Concierge level at the Sun Palace where I get free calls to the US, internet service in our room, upgraded liquors (including Absolute which is our fave), upgraded wines (even bottles delivered to the room) and on and on...

Just, as usual, my 2 cents!

Happy and safe travels to all my Trip Advisor friends!

~Sharon

Smithers
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets The Vine - Room choices preferred or not preferred?

We haven't been yet. We are scheduled to arrive October 12th. So I am just going by what I have read and the questions I have asked myself.

I believe that the bathrooms are the same. You have to upgrade to at least honeymoon level before you get the soaker tub.

The view would depend on if you were preferred or not. Non preferred would be on the lower floors and preferred would be on the higher floors. Otherwise the rooms are both oceanview so I would assume the views are similar.

We are staying at Secrets the Vine for 9 days and the moving to Aventura Spa Palace for a week when we are there so we will be comparing the 2 brands- Secrets and Palace, We haven't been to either before.

Edited: 13 September 2012, 02:27
Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets The Vine - Room choices preferred or not preferred?

Some rooms are ocean view and some are oceanfront with obviously fantastic views of amazing cancun water.

We booked honeymoon suite oceanfront on Expedia, Preferred was not being offered at the time.

I'm sure our room will be great, great view, soaking tub. What angers me is reading on their own Facebook page that alcohol is severely limited if you're not Preferred. Their trip advisor reviews are getting worse and worse, wait till they go to full occupancy. My wife and I both have bad backs and reading that the only decent loungers are restricted to Preferred also makes me mad.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets The Vine - Room choices preferred or not preferred?

Preferred, RIP OFF!! My opinion, but those who have wasted their dollars feel bad for doing it so they will tell you it is the best thing they ever did. Sorry, but it is the truth. Save your money for excursions or better yet, your next vacation.