We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

And so another holiday countdown begins..........

dorset
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
And so another holiday countdown begins..........

Very excited to be coming back to Mexico for the 5th year in a row.

This time we have opted for the Iberostar Cancun, and are extremely excited for this resort.

311 days to go, here i go, wishing my life away again.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: And so another holiday countdown begins..........

lorrabell,

I got great quotes from the offices of http://www.tropicalsky.co.uk I was following them on Facebook and was lured in by their pictures. I was helped by a helpful guy in the Dublin office(as I'm in Ireland) but they are basically franchised out to private travel agents from what I could tell across the UK and Ireland.

Every good price I got he smashed it, beat it and was a brilliant agent. His only problem was he wanted €2,000 deposit and I ended up getting another agent to match him and only take €800 deposit. I couldn't part with €2,000 as it was way over 50% of the total price. He needed it because his flights with Virgin had to be paid upfront but the other agent got me BA which she didn't have to pay until Feb of next year so I don't have to pay either.

Found out today that the en suite bathroom in the house is now fairly unfit for purpose(seems fine to me but what do I know) so apparently some of our spending money is going to be thrown away at that.

If anybody is in Cancun next year and sees a guy head to toe in Primark/Pennys(Forever 21 for those reading from the USA) then that's me because my bathroom is wearing my clothing fund. :(

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: And so another holiday countdown begins..........

105 days left for me. When we get back, I'm going to begin researching my next holiday right away!

Hee hee, I love the brit term "holiday" over our "vacation." Heck, you can be on vacation and just be at home, or at the lake place. Going to Cancun IS a real holiday!

dorset
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: And so another holiday countdown begins..........

Yes the new dreamliner does look good, but i prefer Virgin because even with economy, which is what we will be, its free drinks/cocktails all the way! The inflight entertaintment was also superb!

Kent
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: And so another holiday countdown begins..........

mmm didn't know that!! will certainly keep my options open and i've subscribed to beaches newsletter so will keep up with that too, thanks

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: And so another holiday countdown begins..........

Sunny&Bright

I don't even know why you folks in the US decided to change it or when you changed the word from its English origins.

It means Holy day because they were the only days off people used to get.

In the US you use a word meaning "to be empty/free of". What was wrong with the original word, we'll never know but then again the "New World" lost the letter U on the way over with words like Flavour or Colour and found that using the word Cheque wasn't good enough and changed it to Check.

I only find this interesting today because this morning on our national radio they were talking about the names of Irish towns. One as an example was Booterstown(as its called today) but was called Baile an Bhóthair(town of the roads). The British who decided nicely to invade us could not pronounce our language so pronounced the word Bhóthair(Road) as Booter because they were trying to overly pronounce the letter H, got bored and renamed the town and most other towns in Ireland.

They had one town called Queenstown which is now called Cobh(where the Titanic made its last stop) and the other Kingstown which is now called Dún Laoghaire. Once we evicted them(The British) from the country(most of it) we naturally renamed them. LOL

Anyway. Boring history lesson on words.

Whilst we are at it, on behalf of all TRUE English speaking people could you lot possibly pronounce the word HERB correctly. It does have a H in it. It's not an 'ERB you know. LOL

Lola, I actually thought the Virgin only gave you 2 free drinks outside of the regular meal service. I'm convinced I read that somewhere on their website and even though I just read on their website right now that the bar IS complimentary I'm still convinced I read it somewhere. I got scared then that maybe it was BA that had the limit(whom I'm flying with) but I checked theirs and they are Complimentary as well. LOL

iowa
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: And so another holiday countdown begins..........

Planning on March as usual

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: And so another holiday countdown begins..........

FYI Lola, the prices for IB Cancun have gone up quite drastically since I booked. Sometimes theres a reason for booking early.

28. Re: And so another holiday countdown begins..........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2013, 10:17