We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive Restrictions?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,697 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
All Inclusive Restrictions?

I have been reading much in recent weeks about various groups wanting regulations on the number of All Inclusives in the area. This is translated from todays Por Esto newspaper:

¨Next Wednesday will be delivered to Congress, the initiative that drive the business chambers of the state, along with associations and taxi union, to curb and regulate "all inclusive" calling most 40% of the rooms is marketed with this scheme and the rest operate with a traditional offering hosting service, both as a zone of Cancun in Playa del Carmen where you have the support of the tourist cities.¨

The article goes on to say this is similar to legislation that applies in Spain itself, where many of the areas All Inclusive chains are based.

The entire article, in Spanish, is here:

www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php…

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,383 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive Restrictions?

Its smart to offer an all-inclusive 'option'... hotels that offer both will attract a larger market and it will be better for the ecomy of locally owned restaurants and businesses.

Va
Level Contributor
11,269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive Restrictions?

The first time we stay at the caribe real they offered both. It was about 90% AI. Going the the EP was a hassle and we switched after a few days. What I think would be better is to offer AI for breakfast an lunch and leaving dinner on your own.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive Restrictions?

So this doesnt affect CURRENT AI only hotels. Sounds like they are saying that all hotels should offer an AI option? Or did I completely mis-understand?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,697 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive Restrictions?

I am not sure of the details either, Karen. I only know they are making an effort to restrict the AI´s. Many countries and areas do have such regulations but I think they will be a long time in coming to this area.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive Restrictions?

I think that the market should decide AI or not. Government getting involved it is only going to make things worst. The appeal of Mexico always was inexpensive vacation for the Americans,etc... I still remember when Cancun did not have any all inclusives except Club Med. The flight and the hotels were inexpensive, but everything else from restaurants to drinks served at the resorts were above NY prices. IMO if Mexican government going to do that it's only going to make people look for other destinations. Basically you can't force people to spend money they don't have, so this 'idea' is comletely 'nuts'.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,697 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive Restrictions?

I also have been going to Cancun for over 30 years and remember when Club Med was the only AI choice. It will be interesting to see what, if anything happens. Several groups are pushing hard for regulation.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,297 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive Restrictions?

I think it is a good idea to restrict the number of AIs and have more semi and non AI hotels in an area. It's better for small businesses to have fewer AI resorts and should help the local economy rather than most of the dollars going to foreign-owned hotels.

In Ixtapa, also a Fonatur developed resort area like Cancun, there used to be mostly non AI hotels, or they would have breakfast only, or a 'beverage credit' per stay, or AI optional.But lately they have more and more been switching to straight All Inclusives. It's too bad, since you have a lot less choice on where to stay if you want to stay there but do non AI.

But they may be shooting themselves in the foot, since so many people are too frightened to stay non AI in Mexico these days.....hmmmm.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive Restrictions?

If the resorts were making money as non-inclusive they would never switch to AI format. Most hotels in Cancun which are not AI have low occupancy and many are either being sold or switching to AI. They doing what the market demands. I don't think people are frightened to stay at non AI, it is just a matter of economics. I doubt anybody from US or any other country cares much about small business. And there so many threads here where even the people who stay at condos, small hotels constantly ask where is Walmart, this not helping the small business.

Ohio
Level Contributor
560 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Inclusive Restrictions?

Giving the option of AI or not is a good option to have. I don't think it will matter much as those that make full use of the AI will still choose that option and those that don't, won't. Personally, If we feel like venturing out to the local eateries and bars, which we defiantely do, then that is what we do.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,297 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All Inclusive Restrictions?

Sig- I agree not everyone chooses AI because they are too fightened to stay non AI. We often stay AI as well as non AI, and it's not because of baseless fears.

I was only using that as an example of how some people would not go to Mexico if they could not stay AI....more people might end up choosing Cuba or the Dominican if AIs become harder to book, is all. So the gov't making this rule might backfire in terms of tourist numbers.

I don't think I agree about them doing 'what the market demands', totally, though. People buy what is advertised to them, mostly. Most of the packages from Canada that people are exposed to are AI packages, and because they are often a better 'deal', people tend to go that route. That is more the market dictating what people can buy rather than providing options.