We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about the 24 hr lounge food and games @ The Royal

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions about the 24 hr lounge food and games @ The Royal

Can anyone give me some examples of the food served in the 24 hour VIP lounge? (Why do they call it VIP, anyway?) I've done some searching on here and elsewhere and nobody ever seems to take photos or talk about it.

We're going in January and my Wife and I are on a pseudo-diet. A relative lost a battle with diabetes not too long ago so we've both decided to reduce our carb intake. The lack of low-carb food isn't a deal-breaker, mind you. It's our vacation and we'll eat what we want while we're on it, but given the choice we'd probably favour the menu items that are healthier in that respect (if those options exist).

It's more curiosity and knowing what to expect when we get there.

Also, while we're on the topic, what kind of activities do they have in the lounge? From the photos I could see billiards, table tennis, a TV, and something that looks like Jenga. Is that the extent of the games in the lounge, or is there more?

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about the 24 hr lounge food and games @ The Royal

Yup- the one in PDC had the games you listed along with some other board games too. As for the food in the lounge- I remember lots of fruit slices, cheese and crackers and some dips for dipping. When we were hungry we'd always just order room service. Room service rocks!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about the 24 hr lounge food and games @ The Royal

We're heading there tomorrow morning - I'll try to scope it out and report back.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about the 24 hr lounge food and games @ The Royal

Beer tap, at least 10 white & 10 red wines, lots of liquer & mixers. As asmit4 said plus some chicken wings & other finger food.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
121 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about the 24 hr lounge food and games @ The Royal

Fruit, cheese, nachos, and some other finger type snacks that rotated daily. The food was never very warm though.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about the 24 hr lounge food and games @ The Royal

In my 5 trips to the RC, the only food at the 24 hr I consumed..

They have a cold plate with fruits and cold cut's and cheese..They can be good..If it looks funky, leave it alone..

Hot dishes..At one time they had a potato dish that was good..If it looks funky, leave it alone..

In the AM, small pastries and cookies...

The Coffee shop , next door opens at 6am and has great pastries and a rack of bananas..

Don't forget, you have 24 hr room service,...

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about the 24 hr lounge food and games @ The Royal

speaking of room service - as this will be our first experience with these 'magic boxes' - I assume you leave a tip in the box? Also - what would a typical tip be?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
121 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about the 24 hr lounge food and games @ The Royal

We normally just had coffee and would leave $2 in there.

For dinner they brought it in and didn't use the box.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about the 24 hr lounge food and games @ The Royal

Thanks for the great responses. I forgot about the room service option. weddingmoonsoon, hope you have a good trip!

I've read some negative reviews that have singled out the room service as being painfully slow. Any truth to that? I could maybe see employees giving less than prompt service if the people in the room hadn't been tipping.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
121 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about the 24 hr lounge food and games @ The Royal

We had no issues but I heard other guests complaining. We asked for fajitas that were not on the menu and got them.

middletown...
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about the 24 hr lounge food and games @ The Royal

The food in the lounge is nothing to write home about, which might be why no one takes pictures of it. Sometimes the food is warm when it should be cold, and cold when it should be warm. I forget all the details but we weren't overly impressed with anything sitting there. You might be lucky with the food if they just brought it out. There's no way to tell how long it's been sitting out there. To be fair, we did enjoy the guacamole and salsa as long as the chips weren't stale.

As far as mixing your own drinks, they had a pretty good selection of booze and plenty of wine, but if I remember correctly, only XX lager on tap. The lounge is useful if you're just walking by and want a bottle of water as well.

There might be a few other games, but honestly I don't remember. We played pool and the giant Jenga I felt was more like a novelty...

Our experience with room service is that yes, it is painfully slow. Good, but slow. We ordered it a few times when we felt like just hanging out in the room for a bit. Don't order room service thinking you're going to save time like if you had somewhere to be. We ordered it once and after an hour we called back wondering where it was. Apparently they delivered it to the wrong room (no idea why that other room accepted the food they didn't order). We finally got our food a bit after that, and they made it up to us by bringing champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. They were very apologetic for the mix up.