We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts with a smoke free beach?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Resorts with a smoke free beach?

Are there any resorts in Cancun area with a smoke free section of their beach front area. Just got back from a resort in Cancun and the non stop chain smoking by a high percentage of the guests made it difficult to enjoy the beach.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resorts with a smoke free beach?

I don't think so since beaches are public

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resorts with a smoke free beach?

Wish there was!!!!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,851 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resorts with a smoke free beach?

If that does not exist, and there is a typical sea breeze, sitting on the front row, possibly offset multiple yards, could solve the problem.

If you are like me, you want shade which probably means being inland of the front row...and subject to the smoke.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resorts with a smoke free beach?

Go to the beach with a large group of non smoking friends and sit in the middle of the pack. :-)

dorset
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resorts with a smoke free beach?

Wow, how close were you to the people smoking.

Have never been affected by people smoking on the beach!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,682 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resorts with a smoke free beach?

I agree, lola. I dont smoke but really have never even thought of it while on the beach. Never been bothered.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resorts with a smoke free beach?

sitting up wind should be pretty simple. you do have to expect things to be different when you travel.

Cancun
Level Contributor
487 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resorts with a smoke free beach?

Mexico beaches are all public property, so I'm not sure the resorts could have a non-smoking section. At least I've never seen one.

I agree with CO_Pilot54 that sitting closer to the water would give you more breeze and probably less smokers as well.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resorts with a smoke free beach?

Maybe it's the time of year I normally travel, BUT it is so windy at the beach, you can barely keep a cap on your head..You can barely see thru your sunglasses from all the ocean spray..

Inconsiderate smokers are becoming dinosauers, but they are out there...Best solution is to not make a fuss and move to another area..No fake cough's and dirty stares..

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resorts with a smoke free beach?

I prefer to smell the sand, waves, water, etc. I also don't care to hear loud music, if that matters. My experience is that even if you move, a smoker will likely set up shop just upwind of you -- without fail. Murphy's law and all that...

I try to go to less popular resorts/beaches where you're not packed in. That seems to help. Not much else that can be done about it.