We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alternative to cancun??

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kent
Level Contributor
6,212 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
alternative to cancun??

hi, as you lot are well travelled i wondered if someone could suggest a place like cancun but hotter and drier, for end november 2013. we want a nice beach destination but with things outside the resort too, proper shops, not just touristy stuff, the only reason is that i don't want any rain and i keep reading "chance of rain" we have been pdc in june and it did rain too much which i did know before booking but hoped for the best, also about £1300 from the uk, about 2100 dollors, am i being unrealsitic? thanks for any replies

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alternative to cancun??

Only place I really can think off would be Puerto Rico, but will be so much more expensive than Cancun. Also the least chance of rain would be in Aruba, but that too would be expensive.

Kent
Level Contributor
6,212 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alternative to cancun??

i did look at aruba but it is too dear, really like the sound of cancun, it's just the weather thing but i can't see me getting all what i want , can't change the date as it's a birthday holiday so will just keep fingers crossed, it'll prob be great. thanks

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alternative to cancun??

Been to Cancun many times over many years, barring hurricanes it has rarley rained more then an hr or 2 & the weather always called for a chance of rain.Pot luck I guess. Puerto Rico is more expensive as are all the islands. I was not overly impressed with PR. Alot more to do in Cancun & area. Spend the extra money on going to the Royal in Cancun or for a more Zen feeiling La Blanc ( not my cup of tea).

Kent
Level Contributor
6,212 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alternative to cancun??

i have a picture in my head of cancun and i don't think anything else is gonna live up to it so i'm gonna stick with it, it's gonna be a whole lot better than here for sure!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alternative to cancun??

Cabo San Lucas is much drier, but you're on the Pacific and it can be rough. Lots of great hotels and restaurants.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alternative to cancun??

Aruba, or Cabo.

Cancun is the cheapest exotic destination in the world. It costs more for us to go to Florida than Cancun, and we are just 2 states away. Florida is very pretty, but not exotic.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,051 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alternative to cancun??

¨Cancun is the cheapest exotic destination in the world¨

I agree with cheapest but dont really find much exotic about Cancun. It attracts many because it is cheap , in comparison with many vacation destinations. But if you want a less touristy , less overbuilt environment, you will pay for it.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alternative to cancun??

I agree Robert, the city it's self is not exotic. I was referring to the beach, color of the water, and Isla.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: alternative to cancun??

It's all relative. We were in Aruba last month. It was hot and muggy. We were rained out three of our seven days. I think we had maybe one day that I would consider as good weather. We go to Grand Cayman and much prefer that. The weather can be spotty rain showers as well. This time of year it's hard to find a perfect destination...Hawaii has been good. Canary Islands could be a good choice as well.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: alternative to cancun??

I forgot to mention that we're leaving for Cancun today, so it will be an interesting comparison for us.. We hope the weather cooperates. We get back and it's off to Austria and Germany for the holidays!