We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any difference along the "7"

Kent
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
any difference along the "7"

hi, looking at hotels and wondered if there's any difference where you stay along the 7, is the beach better in parts, sea calmer/choppy, more shopping malls in certain parts? are there bits that you'd have to taxi/bus to places or parts where you can walk to most things? thanks for any help

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any difference along the "7"

The water along the top of the 7 is calmer and the beach tends to have a longer dropoff, it can be quite shallow even far out. I would say the color of the water is nicer along the long side of the 7.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any difference along the "7"

I agree the ocean is calmer along the top of the seven, due to Isla Mujeres protecting it. I think the sand is a bit softer along the long edge of the seven. I hadn't noticed ocean color difference.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,339 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any difference along the "7"

I agree with the two comments above. If you want to walk to most things I would look at the point of the 7 on the calm side (Dreams, RIU's. etc...)

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: any difference along the "7"

#1 the top of the 7 is the bay and not the Caribbean, so of course the waters are calmer. There is a tremendous difference in color of water on the caribbean side vs the bay side, anyone who cannot visibly see this is most likely color blind

the closer you get to centro along the top of the 7 the worse the beach and water quality/color gets, around KM 8.5 is where the bay meets the caribbean, anything lower then Km 6 the water color and beach starts detiorating rapidly

Cancún, Quintana...
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any difference along the "7"

The beach at Presidente Intercontinenal (KM 7.5) is large, soft white sand, the water is as described above. From there to the point of the 7 is nice. From the point (about KM 9) along the backside of the 7 the waves crash on the beach. Nice if you like the sound but some days getting into and out of the ocean is a little challenging (hang on to your bottoms!). If you have small children I would recommend top of the 7 for sure.

Riding the public bus in Cancun is so easy and cheap - about 65 cents - that it doesn't matter where you stay you can get to all the shopping, clubs and restaurants. MapChick has a good article about riding the bus: http://www.mapchick.com/cancun-bus-tips/

Va
Level Contributor
11,052 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any difference along the "7"

#1 The bay is only a bay in name not in function. You face open water. The reason that it isn't as rough is because the winds typically do not blow out of the North. You need to look at nothing more than the orientation of the runways at the airport to know that the prevailing winds are more east-west.

The shorter side of the 7 is every bit as much of the Caribbean as the longer side. The island sits several miles off shore and offers very little protection from winds and waves unless the winds are blowing from the north west. With the current northeast wind the water at certain parts of the shorter side of the 7 that are as rough as the longer side. What you have to consider is that the coast line is not straight. There are coves and bow that protect some areas more than others. For instance we had some rough water at the Riu Caribe one day. We went to the Presidente for the day and the water was much calmer. The reason being is that the Presidente was protected from the ENE winds that were blowing directly at the Caribe.

The water color is the same. You have to be blind to not see that. It is the same Caribbean water that flows around the shorter side of the 7 that flows along the longer. Just as clear. What is different is that there are some larger sea grass beds on the bottom that make the water appear darker. This grass can be an issue because when the water gets rough it washes up on the beach. Most resorts clean it off, but you will see it in the water.

There are plenty of satellite maps that you can see this for yourself.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: any difference along the "7"

"Bahia de Mujeres (21°13'N., 86°46'W.) lies between Isla Mujeres and the mainland; it is entered between the NE extremity of Isla Cancun and the S extremity of Isla Mujeres."

anchorageworld.com/content/bahia-de-mujeres

This definition from the "MARINE WORLD DATABASE" should put the Bay Vs Caribbean question/debate to rest with respect to the resorts on the NORTH/short side of the Isla Cancun.

The Bay "lies between Isla Mujeres and the MAINLAND". El Centro/ Downtown is considered the mainland while the Hotel Zone is on Isla Cancun and is surrounded by the Caribbean Sea. This can be 'seen' clearly on this interactive map:

http://www.cancungooglemaps.com/Cancunmap.htm

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: any difference along the "7"

Sungod

I guess we have to assume you are pretty much blind or color blind then if you really think the water is teh same color. Go to Km 5 and look at thewater color then go to Km 10.5. If you cannot see the tremendous difference then something is wrong. The color has to do with the fact of the vegetation in the water on the bay side, the way the sun hits and a bunch of other factors.

In fact the caribbean side of Cancun has some of the best water color and clarity anywhere in the Caribbean because of those factors. The bay side is similar to waht we get here in South Florida

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any difference along the "7"

I found the water color on the east facing side much prettier. You have to be careful since sun angle plays a bit role in the color. On departure from CUN several years ago I looked down and the color difference was apparent in that case as well (Top of the seven was not as nice).

This is on the east facing side..Playa Tortuga I believe:

http://tinyurl.com/2upqw4

Va
Level Contributor
11,052 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any difference along the "7"

Steve,

The water is just as clear. It is the same water. The darkness comes from the vegitation on the bottom not like the waters around florida that are darker because of suspended particles like algae and plankton that make the water itself darker. If you sat 30ft down on the shorter side of the 7 and looked up you would see just as much light as you would if you did the same on the longer side.

Take a look at a satellite map and you will see stretches of the same brilliant blue on the shorter side as you do on the longer side.