We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help narrowing AI choice for family

BC
Level Contributor
174 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help narrowing AI choice for family

Hi all, I"ve posted this question in Yucatan forum, but figured I should post in Cancun as most of our choices seem to surprisingly to me, be in Cancun.

The idea of being able to just book any resort from Cancun to Tulum (Cozumel included), may not have been a good one-overwhelmed!!! We fly into Cancun March 13-20, family of five, kids 7, 13, 17 and we are looking for an AI. (i know the benefits of non-AI, but right now for me and a family of five AI is what we all NEED!)

I know each and every resort offering 5 to a room, right now the family rooms in a lot of the resorts are actually more than booking two rooms at any of the others.

Been to Grand Sirenis and Sandos Caracol, wanting somewhere else.

Kids club isn't absolutely needed.

Walking on a sand beach is important.

The prices are kind of shocking to me right now, but I've never had to book during spring break.

Fiesta Americana Contesa, has me very interested. It's at the max $$ and depends if I can get a good enough deal on it.

Grand Caribe real was looking interesting too but with spring break, I think I'm veering away from this hotel.

I keep coming back to Crown Paradise Club...??? But a bit worried about age of the resort.

We absolutely love Akumal, but the Palladium and Bahia are coming in more than we want to spend as well as ABR. (another trip to one of the villas in Akumal area is in the works forsure!!)

I do work for an airline and if there is a specific website you know of for interline booking that is good, please pm me! Booking at prime time seems to have really made a difference ;)

We are hoping for 3 1/2 star to 4 star...what is your gem out there??

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help narrowing AI choice for family

Have you looked at Beach Palace? They have "family suites" which are two adjoining rooms. It’s a very family friendly resort, but it’s more than 3.5-4*, and towards the higher end, cost-wise. There’s the HardRock, which the teens would enjoy, but I’m not sure about the family room situation….again, towards the higher end.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help narrowing AI choice for family

GCR is nice, FAC is also nice. . . Your concern is warranted on the Crown, way old, needs a redo.

If it was me, prob. GCR.outta those listed above. The kids club there is supposed to be awesome. .

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help narrowing AI choice for family

My kids love the beach palace and the gran caribe real!!!! We didn't care for the crown paradise, but thought the great parnasus was good value for the money, but there were tons of kids.

BC
Level Contributor
174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help narrowing AI choice for family

Luanne, the Great Parnussus keeps popping up too, but it just seems like such a weird layout (very narrow and kids water park at opposite end of the beach?). What time of year did you go to the gran caribe real? I'm really concerned that it's listed as a top 5 for spring breakers to go to?

Beach palace is out of price range...

thx for comments so far!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help narrowing AI choice for family

We went in February and had the start of spring break which was a huge surprise to me being a family resort. They were a nuisance for a few hours late afternoon but then were out at night and slept in in the mornings. The kids club there is also on the back side if the building but it wasn't an issue at all.

The great parnassus reminded me if a cruise ship design so there was some minor noise issues and lots and lots of kids but we didn't mind as it was a family vacation. We did miss the mini fridge in the room tho

Have you looked at renting time from a member for the beach palace??? That's how we did it and the only wAy we could afford a family suite there, but it was one of our better trips to cancun followed by the gran caribe which is the only resort we have returned to for a repeat stay. I do have the info on kids activities etc from feb of this year if you have questions about that.

It's gonna be super busy no matter where you go so pack some patience and a sense if humor and enjoy the sand, sun and surf!!!!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help narrowing AI choice for family

Great is where we hang at when with the kids. . Been there lots and lots. I consider it one of the best bangs for the buck.

The GCR is defiantly a notch or 2 higher, so is the price. Outta DFW always like 33% to 50% more So, we stay at the Great.

Primghar, Iowa
Level Contributor
351 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help narrowing AI choice for family

Been to the Great Parnassus twice in the last two years and plan on returning again. Food there is excellent, and the rooms are clean and large. Not sure what age your kids are, but we took kids from 12-22 with us and everyone had a great time. I have a couple of reviews for the Great Parnassus. Also, it is a pretty great deal in price.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
867 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help narrowing AI choice for family

Did you try El Cid? I thought they allowed 5 in a room and they have that great slide/cliff jump thing in the pool for kids.

Amherst, Ohio
Level Contributor
498 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help narrowing AI choice for family

jp71 - I sent you a message

10. Re: Help narrowing AI choice for family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 12:17