We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Speed Rail Service

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,415 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
High Speed Rail Service

Once again, the governments 0f Quintana Roo and the Yucatan state are discussing possibilities of a high speed rail service both to the south of Cancun and to Merida. Apparently 30 million pesos have been allocated to study the project.

Not the first time it has been discussed. I have mixed emotions about such a project. You can see the article with a map of the project here in Por Esto.

www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php…

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Speed Rail Service

Folks, don't hold your breath. Sort of like the airport in Tulum, wouldn't you agree?

I'd be much more interested in the outcome of the latest meeting this week regarding the construction of Dragon Mart. That's a *Chinese* business venture, thus a lot more credible.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Speed Rail Service

Like you Robert, I have mixed feelings about this. Like bellasogno, doubt anything will happen. That said, I am a supporter of rail service.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,415 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Speed Rail Service

I also doubt it will happen. But the Yucatan state government is also involved and I have more confidence in a project when they back it. And agree, the subject of the Dragon Mart is an interesting one.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Speed Rail Service

A pipe dream at this point IMO.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,415 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Speed Rail Service

I hope it is that. The government here has many pipe dreams. As for me, I hope this is one as well as the Tulum airport.

Prescott Ontario
Level Contributor
943 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High Speed Rail Service

Last I heard the city of Tulum was broke because the likes of the GBP weren't paying their taxes.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High Speed Rail Service

30 million pesos to "study" it? I would be prepared to study it for half that :))

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High Speed Rail Service

Sorry for the necropost but

globalpost.com/dispatch/news/the-canadian-pr…

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: High Speed Rail Service

As long as its "light" rail the cost isn't that bad. Several years ago, The Ga DOT was going to build a light rail system between Atlanta and Athens, GA. After the Federal DOT (and high speed) got involved,the price got so bad that it would have been cheaper to just rent cars for all of the projected riders for the next 15 years.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High Speed Rail Service

For the Yucatan, they are talking about high speed rail. Yes, it is expensive but a line from Cancun-PDC-Tulum could be one of the few high speed lines in the world that pays for itself. Don't get me wrong, I have never run the models on ridership, but my gut reaction is it could work because there is no air service between the locations.

Also, good or bad, I think Mexico can get things done more efficiently when they want to. The layers of regulations that you have to go through in the US are staggering and that doesn't even include all of the lawsuits that would be generated by a high speed line project in the US. You have to deal with unions, environmentalist, land owners... China builds all sorts of modern infrastructure. They don't succeed with construction because they are better than the US. They succeed because when the government says "Build this", people build it - no court battles, no hand wringing, no lining up to get a piece of the pie and certainly no Environmental Impact Studies for the EPA. They have a strong central government that calls all of the shots.

Think about it - the Mexican Government built Cancun, I think they can do this.