We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turn Off the Electronic Devices

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,726 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Turn Off the Electronic Devices

I think this article , taken from USA Today, makes many valid points about leaving electronic devices behind when on vacation. I especially like Marriotts " "Braincation" zones" at some of their resorts, including Cancun. Listening to someone on the cellular while trying to relax can be really annoying to me.

usatoday.com/story/…

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turn Off the Electronic Devices

I don't have a cellphone so it's easy to travel without one. I leave the computer at home as well and don't check in while I'm gone. I leave the hotel phone# with someone at home in case I need to be reached in case of an emergency.

PA
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Turn Off the Electronic Devices

peter826, U are definitely "old school".....My wife and I used to do the same thing: Leave hotel phone# and address w/ family...But now times have changed...We do have cells;; but only use them to talk to grandkids. We take iPod touch to check email......I think of it as a convenience, not a necessity. We're not like the 20 and 30 year olds that can't live without. Not to mention, we have less friends now; being in our 60's....

"In Case of Emergency".......If there is one;; Sooner rather than later...Therefore; CELLS are a must.....JMHO

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turn Off the Electronic Devices

My laptop goes with me when I travel. Since it stays in my condo/room, it certainly isn't an annoyance to anyone else.

I bring my cell phone, but, when I'm outside the US, it stays off. Roaming charges are just too high, and, I have no desire to rent one for vacation.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turn Off the Electronic Devices

I'm with you peter. When on vacation, be on vacation. We have only one cell phone (emergency only) and that stays in the car at all times. I know many other people can't live without all the extra stuff, and that's OK, but we are fine without it. It's all about choices. Has nothing to do with old school or new school. As a side observation: Today's hip school will be tomorrows old school. JMHO.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,772 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turn Off the Electronic Devices

That depends on your job I suppose. For some being reachable all the time is important. It is the only way they can get away.

Not sure why someone talking to his wife in the next chair is less annoying than if he talks to her on the phone.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turn Off the Electronic Devices

I'm in Sales so carry my phone 7 days a week but for a 2 week holiday I can only divert calls but not SMS or e-mail so I hand my phone over to my colleague. I have my own private phone as well so no problem with him carrying my work phone. I don't want to know about work for 2 weeks. I took 4 days off during the summer and they couldn't ring me(diverted calls to them) so they text my work number 4 times(1 each day) saying "Call office". F******S Won't be having that on my Cancun trip.

I will bring my laptop though for movies and music but internet access will be a small problem but I don't care. I can access my phone in a bar or restaurant and check the news at home, viber family and friends and "check in" on Facebook to p*ss off my friends. :D

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turn Off the Electronic Devices

I guess is was never "important" enough while I was working to have to check my voice/email on a constant basis while on vacation. Now that I’m retired, the phone goes off when I get on the plane to head to Cancun and doesn’t go back on until after we’ve landed back home (and that's only because there will be a message from the limo driver as to where we'll be picked up)…in the meantime, it sits in the room safe, dead to the world. I take my Kindle, for books, magazines, movies and music. On that, I have a private email address which only close family knows, so I can be contacted in case of a family emergency. My wife takes her iPad for the same reasons - entertainment. The laptop, with our regular email address….you know, the one that gets all the junk mail, the bill notifications and all that stuff….that one stays at home. Vacation, by definition, means being disconnected from everyday life and its ancillary duties, problems and stresses. When I see people at the hotel, sitting for hours on a laptop, obviously working….I don’t know whether to feel sorry for them or to just dismiss them as being clueless as to what a vacation should be all about. I realize that there are some people….small business owners and the like….who may have to be in contact with their office/business for whatever reason. I guess those are the ones I feel sorry for. There but for the grace of God……

And yes, Robert, it is very annoying to have to listen to other peoples’ cell conversations….especially on vacation. I had to put up with that for years on the Metra in and out of Chicago….I darn sure don’t care for it while I’m sitting by the Caribbean, relaxing, sipping a cool, adult beverage......which BTW, I will be in 12 days.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,095 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turn Off the Electronic Devices

At least when people are sitting next to each other yacking, you can hear both sides of the conversation for unavoidable evesdropping :)

Cancun
Level Contributor
487 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turn Off the Electronic Devices

I'm a blogger, and posting *live* pictures of my vacation pictures to Facebook and Twitter is a necessity most of the time. It's great because I get to go on a lot of trips, but it's also bad because I stress so much about Wi-Fi connection and whatnot while I'm trying to have fun.

After a few years, I've learned to take all the pics and upload a few tweets at the beginning of my vacation/event/day at the beach so I can put my smartphone away and enjoy the rest of the time. :)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,726 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turn Off the Electronic Devices

"Not sure why someone talking to his wife in the next chair is less annoying than if he talks to her on the phone."

But some reason, it seems many people feel they have to yell when talking on the cellular. If the man yelled at his wife like that in person, she would probably smack him.