We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from the uk, do you think prices will drop after xmas?

Kent
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
from the uk, do you think prices will drop after xmas?

hi, haven't been away this time of year except short winter breaks and just wondered if anyone knows from past experiences if thomsons/first choice drop there prices after xmas or have a sale, or any other of the main tour operators, virgin are just too dear tbh

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from the uk, do you think prices will drop after xmas?

There are more tendencies, than rules, for sales in the travel industry. . You just gotta keep looking.

I tend to focus on Monday evenings, thru Thursdays. Some of the larger companies like Apple, and Funjet usually run their specials then. I find a lot of deals on those days. Usually, if there is a deal to be had, it's there right from the start, Mon night. On the other hand, I have found just as many deals on the other days of the week

Look everyday, every where. With a little luck, it won't take long. Happy hunting!

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from the uk, do you think prices will drop after xmas?

Thomson/First Choice and Virgin regularly have "sales" during the Xmas and New Year week, sometimes the following week after New Year as well.

Some of the Virgin deals are very competitive. Well worth waiting for those deals to appear.

Obviously you have to be very flexible on dates you want to travel.

Good luck

Kent
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from the uk, do you think prices will drop after xmas?

thanks for both your replies, it's for a birthday so limited to date but am checking nearly every day, also wanna go on the dreamliner if we go with thomson

Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from the uk, do you think prices will drop after xmas?

Yes.

Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from the uk, do you think prices will drop after xmas?

Yes.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from the uk, do you think prices will drop after xmas?

Drop as compared to just Christmas and New years week? If so, yes, they will drop some, but compared to the rest of the year, they will be higher, as January, Febuary and March are considered "High" travel season and more expensive than any other time of the year, with the exception of Xmas week...

Hayle, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from the uk, do you think prices will drop after xmas?

Keep an eye out for BA half price seat sales. Saved me nearly 2K on a Sandals holiday this year. If it happens again it should be for Cancun trips too.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from the uk, do you think prices will drop after xmas?

Imagine what happens in January? Christmas is over and people are wondering what they will do in 2013. "I know, I'll go on holiday" so they ring around and float the web. Travel companies know this and make allowances for it by generally not bothered with sales.

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
278 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: from the uk, do you think prices will drop after xmas?

It depends on when you want to travel.

Don't just stick to the main travel agents like Thomson, First Choice, Thomas Cook & Virgin, also consider places like caribbeanwarehouse.co.uk, caribbean connection, co-op travel & direct holidays (a subsidiary of TC & often cheaper).

Most agents will match an online price if you prefer booking through a shop if you tell them exactly what you've seen & with whom.

Good luck!

Halesowen, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: from the uk, do you think prices will drop after xmas?

We booked through Caribbean ware for feb at Moon Palace Grand and it was £400.00 cheaper than Virgin