We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do any Cancun hospitals have NICU's?

Montreal
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Topic
Do any Cancun hospitals have NICU's?

Hubby and I are returning to the ritz Cancun for our fifth time for our Babymoon. But I'll be 26 weeks then and am worried about preterm delivery as I am high risk. Here in Canada, at 26 weeks, a baby can be born and survive in a very good natal intensive care unit. Does anyone know if any hospitals in Cancun are this advanced? My husband really wants to go on this trip but I am worried about the level of expertise should something go wrong there... Does anyone know anything about this type of stuff?

Thanks.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
346 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do any Cancun hospitals have NICU's?

The only city you would likely find the advanced care necessary would be in Merida. Additionally, because you are high risk you likely will not be able to get coverage for air evacuation to your home country which I would highly recommend based on your situation, Cancun has good health services, but with your situation, you really are rolling the dice.....

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do any Cancun hospitals have NICU's?

Why would you even consider it, knowing the risks????????

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do any Cancun hospitals have NICU's?

Why don't you just go now? When I worked as a flight attendant for Air Canada a few years ago we had a policy of requiring medical notes for women in their 3rd trimester; generally the rule was no one past 34 weeks for regular pregnancies, if a woman identified she was high risk we generally were very hesitant to board once in their 3rd trimester. Not sure what the charter airlines policy is but you might want to ask your doctor if he/she will even give you permission to fly.

My best friends sister was attacked by a shark in Cancun last January & had the medical care she received not been so poopy she would still have her arm, when she was finally flown back to Toronto the dr's here were washing the sand out of her infected reattached limbs... If it had been cleaned properly in Cancun she wouldn't have needed amputation, and she was taken to a high end private hospital. Do you really want to potentially risk your baby for a vacation?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,097 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do any Cancun hospitals have NICU's?

Agree with flip, the only city in the area with really advanced , high quality medical care is Merida. But why even risk it.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do any Cancun hospitals have NICU's?

I 2nd this question:

Why would you even consider it, knowing the risks????????

I cant even tell you how much this makes my blood boil that you are even considering it and that your husband is pushing for it. Especially since you said you are high risk. You are the mother, you have to be your baby's advocate and protector. Put your foot down.

Furthermore, if you are high risk I cant see your Dr being on board with you going on a vacation out of the country to Mexico either. I was a high risk multiple pregnancy and my dr didnt want me going to a wedding a few hours away at that point in my pregnancy.

Im not against a babymoon, even to Mexico as many pregnant ladies do it. But you said you are high risk and I just cant see why you are even considering it when it risks your life as well as your childs.

Va
Level Contributor
11,131 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do any Cancun hospitals have NICU's?

Wow. I hope this is a joke.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,836 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do any Cancun hospitals have NICU's?

Ditto to what other posters have said. Unless your doctor is totally supportive of your travelling (which I suspect is unlikely given the circumstances), then I wouldn't dream of going against his/her advice.

Your comments about your husband sure raise a lot of questions about his motiviation and priorities though.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do any Cancun hospitals have NICU's?

Consider going to NYC on your babymoon, they have quite a few terrific NICU's there and probably superior to where you live

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do any Cancun hospitals have NICU's?

Another thing I'd worry about is insurance coverage; can't imagine the cost of going into early labour and having a baby in NICU in Cancun, and if she knows she's high risk I would imagine that's considered a pre existing condition.

I kind of feel badly for the OP... sounds like maybe the hubby is putting a lot of pressure on her... but like Texas said, she's the mom and her baby's safety is ultimately her responsibility so hopefully she makes the right choice and keeps her pregnant self at home!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do any Cancun hospitals have NICU's?

Cancun will still be there after your baby is safely born in Canada.