We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blueway Car Rental / Cancun STAY AWAY!!

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portage, Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Blueway Car Rental / Cancun STAY AWAY!!

Showed up at the Cancun Airport , found a Blueway Rep and then waited for about 30 minutes for the shuttle bus / van to pick us up and deliver us to the rental facility. The Van they picked us up in was about as beat up as the one we ended up with, but I'll explain that later.

We get to the rental facility, hand over all of our paper work etc.. and the gentleman attempts to tell me my vehicle was ready and waiting outside. He points to a Chevy Tracker... We had reserved a Express Van (ten passenger, as we had 7 adults with bags.) They attempt to tell my Wife this is what she had reserved (the Tracker,) my Wife is a corporate travel agent and immediately identified on the printed reservation where it specifically showed the Express Van. After much back and forth, they agreed they had made the mistake and would get us a Van..

Nearly 45 minutes later, a van shows up and it is a beat up piece of crap. There was not a single spot on that van that did not have a dent, scratch or ding. Additionally, the interior was nasty, with some kind of gum / greasy residue on the arm rest by the window, the "brakes" had about 3 inches of free play / travel before they would even feel an ounce of pressure, the van had ZERO.... gas in it, I mean ZERO.. I told them, it was a piece of crap with no gas and I was not going to accept the vehicle. Another employee cleaned the gum / greasy residue off the arm rest, and then hauled off the property with my two young boys and Mother in-law and all of our bags inside the van??? Where is he going? 10 minutes later he is back and now had a WHOPPING 1/4 tank of gas.

I should have just told them to take us back to the airport and we would find other transportation for the week. Instead, we documented EVERYTHING, including taking a video of the damage to the vehicle, and accepted it.

In the week of use, this van was among the scariest things I've ever driven, the brakes were non-existent, the suspension was shot, it bounced down the road like a rubber ball, and going around corners it sounded like the right front wheel was going to come off. Needless to say, we were not impressed with the vehicle or the company and would NEVER RECOMMEND them to anyone..

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blueway Car Rental / Cancun STAY AWAY!!

Sounds like they rented you Tio (Uncle) Jose's Van, because the way you described the sounds it made, its definately a local Mexican vehicle. And a good one at that!....

2. Re: Blueway Car Rental / Cancun STAY AWAY!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 06:19