We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BIG price difference between ferries to isla mujeres

India
Level Contributor
142 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
BIG price difference between ferries to isla mujeres

Maybe there is some misunderstanding on my side but when I checked the price of the ferry from Playa tortugas to isla mujeres AND from Puerto Juárez to isla mujeres, than there is a BIG price difference.

the ferry from Puerto Juarez is only 15 pesos

vs. the ferry from Playa tortugas is US$ 15.

Am I missing something there?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BIG price difference between ferries to isla mujeres

Yes, I'm afraid you are. Where are you getting these prices? 15 pesos = $1.18 USD. Incorrect.

Go to the source, here: www.cancunreservations.com/ultramar.asp

Main Ultramar site: http://granpuerto.com.mx/

You're welcome ;)

Edited: 11 January 2013, 17:51
Cancun
Level Contributor
488 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BIG price difference between ferries to isla mujeres

Must be a typo. I always leave from Puerto Juarez and it's definitely more like $15 dollars (can't remember the exact price off the top of my head)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BIG price difference between ferries to isla mujeres

Isn't the "older" public ferry also an option, for less?? I see it referred to in this link, but I honestly have not used it for several years. 35 pesos each way. Maybe it's no longer in service?

www.islamujeres.info/planning/ferries.asp

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,299 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BIG price difference between ferries to isla mujeres

bk_t1...it's still there..well, it was in November.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,882 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BIG price difference between ferries to isla mujeres

ultramar is the fast ferry. The other ferry is painfully slow and lumbering. It is much cheaper to take it from Puerto Juarez than the hotel zone but that depends on how easy it is for you to get to Puerto Juarez whether or not it's worth the difference.

Here is the link to the fare page for ultramar. You can also click to their schedule page.

http://granpuerto.com.mx/EN/index.html

Cheryl

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,846 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: BIG price difference between ferries to isla mujeres

The Ultramar price from Gran Puerto is 140 pesos pp rt.

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: BIG price difference between ferries to isla mujeres

1/03/14 The current ferry price from Playa Tortugas or Embarcadero Marina via UltraMar is $19 US dollars RT. The price from Puerto Juarez via Ultramar is $140 mexican peso RT, but you will need to take the public bus or taxi to get there from Zona Hotelera area. RT # 1 public bus is now 9.5 peso one way . If you want to stay late after a nice sunset (past 5:00 pm) on Isla Mujeres you should plan to leave / return via Puerto Juarez.. Those ferries are cheaper and have many more early and later arrivals and departures to choose from because they cater more to the local folks intead of the one-day tourist type.

8. Re: BIG price difference between ferries to isla mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 07:23