We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimmable beach options - staying at Secrets the Vine

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Swimmable beach options - staying at Secrets the Vine

I've read that the ocean at Secrets the Vine most days is red-flagged and dangerous for swimming. If we would walk either direction, do the waters typically get calmer, more conducive for swimming? I think we also have the option, staying at The Vine, to visit Dreams Cancun which is at the top of the "7." Would the waters be calmer here for swimming?

Thanks for your help!

dorset
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimmable beach options - staying at Secrets the Vine

Yes the waters are much calmer at the top of the '7' but no where near as pretty on the eye. Thats the trade off.

The red flags have always been out on my holidays in Cancun, although people do still swim but stay close to the shore line.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimmable beach options - staying at Secrets the Vine

Thank you, Iola!

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimmable beach options - staying at Secrets the Vine

It's too long of a walk from Secrets the Vine to top of 7 just for swimming.

Better to get a day pass to Secrets Maroma, we will do that in February.

We just love to lay on the beach and gaze at the amazing blue water and listen to the sound of the crashing waves, the Vine has all that.

London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimmable beach options - staying at Secrets the Vine

the cost of a day ticket at the secrets maroma please.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimmable beach options - staying at Secrets the Vine

It's free if you are already staying at a secrets resort. I just want to see what the fuss is all about the Secrets Maroma beach. I know the cab cost round rip won't be cheap.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimmable beach options - staying at Secrets the Vine

Mark, once you go there you will be ruined. After staying on Maroma, it puts a damper on Cancun's beach, at least the long side of the "7". To be fair, it's really no better than seven mile in Grand Cayman or Orient Bay in St. Martin, just to name a couple of popular and very nice beaches in the Caribbean. In fact, I think both of those may be nicer in many respects. The privacy of Maroma for such a nice beach, however, can't be beat.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimmable beach options - staying at Secrets the Vine

Just take the bus to the beach at the Intercontinental. If question by security, just tell them you going to for a drink at their beachside bar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVp90f2Yj60

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimmable beach options - staying at Secrets the Vine

Mark, we had also considered spending time at Secrets Maroma but are still undecided due to the taxi fare. Sounds wonderful though!

Toothxt, thanks for the Intercontinental suggestion. It is something we'll definitely consider. Thanks for the youtube link. It looks perfect!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimmable beach options - staying at Secrets the Vine

Yes, the water at the Secrets is rough. It takes a light N, NW wind, or no wind at all, to set up calm waters there. It does happen very often, but from time to time the winds cooperate.. Usually, during fall, winter and or early spring. When the SE trade winds set up, forget it. So, if the winds are as I described, it will be great. Walking N or S will not change the conditions.

I was there last week, and the ocean was angry. Rougher than I have seen it in a long time. Nobody was in the water. Close to a record as far as roughness in my book. We had a cold front come thru, upper 70's.. lol NE winds.

Dreams would defiantly be more swim-able under most any circumstances.

Edited: 19 January 2013, 15:47
Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimmable beach options - staying at Secrets the Vine

I cannot understand why anyone would want the hassle of leaving their beach resort to go to another beach resort just to find acceptable conditions for swimming. I can understand spending a day at Tulum, or Isla Mujeres etc for a change of pace, but to have to cab or bus it daily and leave your beach resort to go to the beach makes no sense