We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Royal Cancun-room selection

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
The Royal Cancun-room selection

Hello, we will be staying at the Royal Cancun in May and we have booked a corner suite. For anyone who has stayed there, is there a particular room # you would suggest? Any suggestions on places near the hotel to get out and see?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
231 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Royal Cancun-room selection

We had corner suite 201 which people may refer to as the "loud" side of the hotel because it's the activity side. The towel hut is right below and it plays music but honestly with the sliding door shut you don't hear it. It's also the side facing the Gran Caribe (the sister resort)... I'd prefer to look at that instead of the Flamingo on the other side, but that's my personal preference.

As far as things to do, there's a smaller shopping mall directly across the street, the Flamingo. It also has an Outback, Bubba Gump Restaurant and a Margaritaville. Walking out the hotel to the left about a mileish is a much bigger outdoor mall, La Isla. Has tons more Americanized shops and eateries. To the right of the hotel and further down would be where all the popular bars and nightclubs are. Senor Frogs, Coco Bongos, etc. You might want to take a bus to go to those. Approximately $1 per person one way.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Royal Cancun-room selection

Here is a room map of the resort..

islandbreezebargains.com/…20Map.pdf

The rooms ending in 01 and 08 are on the smoking side..

The rooms ending in 32 and 41 are on the no smoking side..Not to say that someone on this side will smoke outside the room on the balcony..The lower 41 rooms have a terrible side view of the Flamingo hotel..Floors 6, 7 & 8, not so bad...

Just try for a room on an upper floor...

Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Royal Cancun-room selection

We stayed at the Royal and had the corner suite (room 441). We paid over $1,000 extra for this grand 'corner suite' and it was NOT worth the extra money (or any extra money for that matter). It overlooked the Flamingo hotel with their rusty pipes and ugly side-building. We could hear people partying and screaming into the early hours of the morning. We had to keep the shade closed by our jacuzzi so we wouldn't see out - and just didn't look to the right to view the unslightly building.

Our room was nice, the service and food excellent - the room just wasn't as awesome as we had hoped.

If we were to return, we would get the Royal Ocean Front Suites - middle of the resort and much cheaper than the Corner Suites. Plus, I think you can still book this category on-line in advance.

Have a wonderful and safe vacation!

~Sharon

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Royal Cancun-room selection

MISharon, the OceanFront suites are on either side of the resort, some are next door to the Corner suites..Except on the 8th floor center, these are OF's as well..The suites in the center of the resort on floors 4 thru 7 are the Royal OceanView suites..In my opinion these suites, floors 5, 6 and 7 are the best, views and value..

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Royal Cancun-room selection

Yes I would avoid the ones ending in 41 and as littenlarry said try for an upper room. Being non smokers we had 732 I believe. but honestly the smoking thing really doesn't matter. We have stayed there in smoking rooms twice and never smelled any smoke...in our non smoking room we smelled smoke one night. So I would not worry about that and get a higher floor ending in 01, 08 or 32. The real advantage to this room is the cabana you get for shade. Some are not in ideal spots though....ask if you can switch if you don't like it. We hardly used ours so didn't ask but we did hear one lady ask and they did do this for her. You will love this resort!!! the rooms are beautiful!! don't fall for the tour or breakfast...timeshare!! It is not a big resort so you don't need a tour!! Just say no to the timeshare and book your dinners if you plan to go to Maria Maries or the cooking show at Asianna....otherwise you don't need reservations.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Royal Cancun-room selection

Thanks to everyone for the replies and tips. The main reason we booked the corner suite was for the steam shower. My husband has chronic bronchitis and we really thought the steam shower would be an added bonus for him. Thanks again.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Royal Cancun-room selection

They work really well!!! It should be very helpful. Love the showers!!

I am sure you will have a a fabulous trip!!

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Royal Cancun-room selection

The standard , non steam shower, is pretty awesome..The nick name of the shower is the "car wash"...It has 4 body jet's, a overhead rain shower and also a handheld shower..You can see the shower at about 2 min 40 sec's into this video..

www.youtube.com/watch…

9. Re: The Royal Cancun-room selection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 07:16