We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expense of cancun

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Expense of cancun

Hi guys, looking at going to cancun in January 2014 with husband and three teenage boys.

Is it cheap to eat and drink here, boys eat up a storm and I'm not really wanting to cook everyday.

Also any area better than the other to stay in?

Thanks meg65

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,278 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expense of cancun

With three teenage boys, I think I would choose an all inclusive family resort.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expense of cancun

All Inclusive may be the best option for your crew.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expense of cancun

I agree I have two of them and they are always thirsty and hungry. It will be cheaper for you with the all-inclusive option. Otherwise the hotel will charge you a lot for food and drinks like $5 USD for a pop...Eating out all the time will take time away from your vacation.

Edited: 25 January 2013, 14:38
New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expense of cancun

Cancun is not cheap. With 3 teenage boys your best bet would be all-inclusvie.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expense of cancun

I think so too... and it's a pain in the butt to try and figure out what/where you want to eat 3 times a day; there's nothing better than the mindlessness of all inclusive. It may seem like more money up front but I'd bet if you compared the cost at the end of the holiday AI would be cheaper. There's a reason its so popular world wide!

As for areas, we prefer the hotel zone, mostly because of the beach.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expense of cancun

Hi Meg65!

As most people before me have said an all inclusive might be the best option for your case, but I would still suggest that you explore the downtown area with your kids for a couple of meals!

You will find options that are very cheap (go see parque de las palapas), for about 3-4 USD per person you will get very big meals (soup and beverage included). You will find that the meals that are served downtown are catered more towards locals, so they are comparable to home cooked meals that are totally authentic!

Have an awesome trip and don't be shy to PM me if you have any specific questions :)

David Rowicz,

Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expense of cancun

Thanks guys,

I'm not really keen on all inclusive, as you get locked into eating there all the time.

I am checking out condos, so might do eat in and meals out.

Anyone out there know of a beachfront condo in hotel district, 3/4 bedroom?

I'm pretty fussy, but don't what to have to sell a kidney to stay there.

Thanks everyone for your feed back.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expense of cancun

Why do you get locked into eating there all the time?? When in the Hotel Zone, I always go All Inclusive and eat out all the time...

Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expense of cancun

The only all inclusives we have done in Australia, means you pay to eat all meals at hotel, which is quite expensive and can't really afford to eat out.

Does it work differently there.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expense of cancun

What I meant is you don't have to eat EVERY meal there. In Cancun, there is lots of places close by to eat at and reasonablely priced....