We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you traveled w/ your child and a friend of your child?

Washington, Georgia
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Have you traveled w/ your child and a friend of your child?

We are traveling from Atlanta to Cancun in June. My 13 year old daughter wants to bring a friend. I know we would need notarized consent from the friends' parents. I'm wondering if any fellow forum contributors have traveled with a friend of their child and if there were any issues that arose? Thanks!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you traveled w/ your child and a friend of your child?

Apparently new regulations take effect in February which will make what you propose a whole lot more difficult ..... but to answer your question, we took my 14 year old daughter's friend with us last year and didn't have any issues at all. We did have an appropriate, notarized letter with us that also permitted us to consent to medical treatment (thankfully, not required). No-one even asked to see the letter either leaving or returning to Canada or in Mexico.

Here's a link to a thread that talks about the new requirements - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150792-i257-k5931…

This isn't the one I was thinking of but I can't find the one that was on these forums a week or two ago. I'll do some more digging and post more links for you later.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you traveled w/ your child and a friend of your child?

embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada_eng/index.php…

Here ya go - here's a link to the Mexican Embassy in Canada website. I believe the same rules apply to people in the US taking kids to Mexico too.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you traveled w/ your child and a friend of your child?

And here tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k6080700… (this is the one I was REALLY looking for).

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you traveled w/ your child and a friend of your child?

We took my son's friend with us on a trip to Mexico. At the time he was a minor. We had no problems. I did have all the proper paperwork. As Llisa said in the previous post, there are new regulations. Just have all the necessary forms required and you should be good!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,880 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you traveled w/ your child and a friend of your child?

Never that young but from 16 on up, yes. For years. We always stayed at the Royal Resorts so we had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms with kitchen in a very nice resort. The rules were always laid down - no one went anywhere without the other - we knew where they were at all times. No heading off without a parent somewhere around. We never had a problem. The girls usually just hung out at the pool, shopping at the mall with us and went out with us on tours. The boys did less hanging at the pool but did the scuba classes, played volleyball in the pool, on the beach etc when it was our son's turn. We still travel as an extended family - multiple villas - as a herd......"kids" now are really close to 30.

Cheryl

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you traveled w/ your child and a friend of your child?

I wouldn't let that child out of my sight, except when they need to use the restroom. Not exagerating either.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,553 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have you traveled w/ your child and a friend of your child?

It sounds like a great idea to keep your child entertained, and we traveled frequently with friends of our children. However, that being said, I do not think I would want to take responsibility of taking a 13 year old that far from home, and into another country. It's difficult enough keeping track of one 13 year old-but someone that is not your child would be even more difficult. I would imagine that your daughter would meet lots of young people at the resort-and you won't have to be responsible for them. Good luck making a decision.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have you traveled w/ your child and a friend of your child?

We traveled to Ixtapa Mexico in 2010 with my niece and nephew who were 14 and 10. As long as you and the parents are comfortable with taking the kid I don't see what the problem is. We had the noterized letter from their parents and all the proper paperwork at that time.

We are going to Akumal this July with them again. My nephew will be 18 by the time we travel so we dont have to worry anymore about him. But his sister is still underage. I am "brushing" up on the new regulations. But it doesn't look like anything too impossible.

Have Fun!!

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have you traveled w/ your child and a friend of your child?

Llisa's provided links no doubt mentions that the new wrinkle in this procedure was that the notarized consent letter had to be in Spanish . Implementing the new rule was delayed until Feb 15th 2013 .

…about.com/b/…new-immigration-laws.htm

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have you traveled w/ your child and a friend of your child?

We traveled without problems; had a notarized letter from one parent and a death certificate for the other in order to board in Newark. A letter from a single parent will not work.