We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

PA
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
Save Topic
OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

My answer: Been traveling throughout caribbean and Mexico for 30+ years...Main reason to go to CUN now: PRICE....Don't get me wrong..I love CUN...But there are many other places I'd love to go... Buuuuuuuuuut....I can go to CUN for 2 weeks; for the price of going to; lets say: Grand Cayman or Aruba for one week...No Brainer

ps.......Good time is Good time

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

@Trucker...i understand what you are saying, but what are the odds people are going to spend over $1k to fly pp to Cancun? Both times I ugraded not one single Business Class seat was sold. That's why as soon as 24 hours came before our trip I was on the phone to them. Once again in December I was the first person to upgrade. Knowing that I can do it then instead of waiting to go to the airport made me feel better. Aside from that, I also booked exit row seats too so that when I upgrade the cost of that will go towards the BC seats and if i couldn't upgrade, well, then at least my tall husband had plenty of leg room.

I actually would have pulled the trigger on Las Vegas for December till I found out it only gets to like 54 degrees during the day. I may as well stay home for that. I could get the Hlton at the Flamingo for a mere $149 through our timeshare for a week's stay and as you probably know it's right in the heart of the strip.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 21:00
Glasgow-Scotland
Level Contributor
821 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

Bertie..that's a long time but once there it is a journey soon forgotten..enjoy x

maine
Level Contributor
353 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

RoxyCocktail.....Took the exact words right out of my mouth! We have friends who love cruises and I almost had them convinced to come with us to Cancun in April but to no avail! Oh well their loss! All I say is go once and that's all it will take! You will be hooked!

Enjoy Everyone I know we will :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

I had to laugh when I saw the question posted. I am asked this question on a regular basis. I travel on vacation three times a year and in the last four years I have only had one vacation destination, Cancun. I guess cost is a factor because there is no other destination I have seen that offers so much for so little, but what is not to love here? Perfect weather, activities to fit any need, the peole who live and work here are some of the nicest I've met anywhere. I love the place so much I am now looking into the possibility of relocating there permanently.

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
166 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

We have been other places but also usually pick Mexico based on price and what we get for the price. We have stayed at several resorts in the area and usually choose a new one each vist just to try something new. They all have their pros and cons but you usually get great service, a clean place decent food and a safe enviroment. The Mexican people are wonderful and for the price, you just can't beat it! You will spend at least a thousand or more for the same thing elsewhere. Mexico is just the best!

Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

@court, I see your point, and its well taken. Until I met my wife in 03 married in very late 04, I hadn't had a real vacation since a Vegas trip in 99. I never knew what a real vacation was like. Don't get me wrong, I like your advice and will likely take it in the future.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

We were one of those naive people who were skeptical to visit Mexico because of what we 'heard' re: safety concerns.

Then last December, DH and I found out we could get away for a few nights (without the kids)....so, we decided on Cancun just because the quick, direct flights from/to DFW made sense to us for short 4-night stay. (Yes, can admit it now, CUN was chosen virtually by 'default').

Well, that was only about a month ago and now we're back here again.......this time with the kids.....and obviously loving it for many of the reasons already posted -- the value, direct flights, quality resort choices, outstanding service and especially because of the gracious people that have gone out of their way to make us feel at home.

Will we still visit other destinations? Absolutely. But I think, like many others, we've found another place we'll CHOOSE to return to time and time again.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 22:15
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

We have been going for 6 years in a row now and I can't see us switching to someplace else. We do try different resorts, but when you see that water and feel the air when you step out of the airport, that is reason enough. Plus non-stop from Lansing, which is only 30 min. from home and a lot cheaper to fly there than other places. I will be going with girlfriends on Feb. 6 and then March 6th, hubby and I are headed back there. Countdown has begun.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

@Trucker, I hope you try it sometime. At the very least get exit rows then change the day before. We only do business class down. by the time I'm on my way home, I'm done drinking. *lol*

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

We were thinking Aruba or Jamaica but decided on cancun because of all the other stuff to do besides resort stuff. Since our 2yr old son is staying home with his grandmother this time we figured that we'd go somewhere that we could have fun. Huge nightclubs, pyramids, small islands we can spend the day on... Just a few of the things that cancun has to offer that other places don't...at least on the same scale. We've been to a few different islands and wanted something different than the usual resort atmosphere.

Price wasn't really a deciding factor since our hotel, secrets the vine was pretty much the same price as Aruba (riu palace) and Jamaica (negril). If price was a factor we would've picked Cuba...and had the most bland food ever ;)