We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
Save Topic
OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

My answer: Been traveling throughout caribbean and Mexico for 30+ years...Main reason to go to CUN now: PRICE....Don't get me wrong..I love CUN...But there are many other places I'd love to go... Buuuuuuuuuut....I can go to CUN for 2 weeks; for the price of going to; lets say: Grand Cayman or Aruba for one week...No Brainer

ps.......Good time is Good time

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

1. I can get to Cancun with a non-stop in about 3.5 hours.

2. Price wise Cancun is as cheap, or cheaper than anywere else we can go. 3. White sand beaches v.s. brown sand.

4. Love certain hotels which we have stayed at in the past.

5. Love the zone, and the city.

6. We heavily prefer AI hotels, and there is scores to choose from in the Cancun-Playa-RM-Cozumel area.

We will be returning again this summer, looks like Leblanc is in the lead for this inc. trip. Not set in stone yet though.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 03:09
Troy, Missouri
Level Contributor
450 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

I took my first trip to Mexico 4 years ago with my best friend to Cabo San Lucas and was not impressed. The next year a friend of mine talked me into going to Cancun so we booked a trip and I was hooked. I am going back in May for my 5 time, and am already looking at booking a trip in September (doing a vacation to Disney with my mom, sister, brother and nephew in July) so I will be ready to go back to Cancun. None of my family realize why I keep going back to Cancun, but for the price (and everything is already paid for when we go), the 3 hour flight from St. Louis, the awesome staff, the beautiful scenery (nothing compares to it in Missouri), and I love the culture down there.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

I found an insane deal for my family of four back in 2009 including airfare at the Great Parnassus. We have gone back to Cancun every year since, twice per year. We now stay at the Royal or the GCR if we are with the kids. Have never had a bad trip.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

We used to go to Acapulco, but in early 1999, we decided on a kind of short notice trip, and wound up at the old Beach Palace in Cancun. We had a lovely time, and the kids refused to listen to any other option for the trip the following year. We walked into the lobby that following year, and the bellman, Luis, remembered us and said - Welcome home. We were hooked. We've been at least once every year since....and got back home a month ago, and will go for what will be our 21st time in less than eight more weeks. The weather, the beautiful sea, the value and most importantly....the people...are the reasons we keep going back. We travel a lot in the states....there's still a lot we haven't seen yet here at home, but make sure we get to Cancun at least twice a year now.

Minneapolis, Mn
2 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

I chose because of the price and we try to go to a differenct place every vacation. Cancun was a fun trip but by far not the most beautiful place we have been. Its easy to pigeon hole yourself into one destination but the world is too big to go to the same place! Try Turks and Caicos - the water in Cancun can't even be compared to the amazing water in Turks. Culebra and Vieques, PR also have amazing water that is not comparable to Turks and Caicos. I also prefer DR over Cancun only because I enjoy the palm trees on the beach at DR. Loved Cancun but will not be back...too many places to explore!

Swansea, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

Ok...everyone responded with factual reasons for "why...Cancun?" but I didn't see my main reason. SERVICE...Mexican employees really make your stay memorable because they do a great job at the resorts! I'm not the most experienced traveler, but to the places and resorts (4 to 5 stars) I have visited, I always feel like a welcome "customer!" Bottom line service is better bar none. I have traveled to Puerto Rico, Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Dominican, Cozumel, and Jamaica. My wife (newlyweds) has only traveled to Jamaica (3 occasions). When I asked her what she thought was most important (Price, Beach, Direct Flight, Service, etc.) She said service...I'm taking her to Tulum (Grand Bahia Principe) this month.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

simplymisty - you will find alot of different opinions on resorts to choose from on TripAdvisor. I will through in my two cents worth and recommend Live Aqua. Right in the hotel zone, across street from La Isla Mall, pools are heated and it is adults only. Leaving on Wed to go back there.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

Every time I start shopping for new destinations, the best bang for my buck always seems to be Cancun/Riviera Maya/Isla Mujeres.

1. Quick non-stop flights that are cheaper than DR or Aruba

2. Far larger selection of properties than any other destination - all price points, all styles. You want high rises and nightlife - Cancun. You want a secluded tropical location - RM. You want a laid back island - Isla Mujeres. AI, EP, Budget, Luxury... You can get anything you want within 1 hour of the airport.

3. It is familiar and easy. Flying in to Cancun is like flying home - I know the drill and I know where to go. I know Cancun, I know PM, I know Isla and I know PDC.

4. I think the area has really good infrastructure for a newly industrialized nation. If something would happen, G-d forbid, I would feel a lot safer in Q-Roo than I would in Jamaica or the DR. I feel completely safe walking the in the tourist areas at night. I know if I forget something at home, I can find it at Chedraui, Wal-Mart or a host of any other places. If I lost my luggage, I know I could replace my vacation clothes with a quick trip to La Isla.

I could go on but that is what comes to mind. I can certainly understand why people would like to try different places and I will go back to Jamaica at some point and I would love to try DR. Still, I cringe when AI noobs overlook the area for stupid reasons and end up paying more and getting less in other locations.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 20:12
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
860 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

We love Mexico and Cancun.But, must admit the main reason we go back year after year is the price. We have been to many of the Caribbean islands.. love some, not so much others. Would love to travel to the South Pacific, Hawaii every year. Bank account says no.

Troy, Missouri
Level Contributor
450 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: OK...Why did u choose Cancun?

Seen this article today and reminded me why I chose Cancun again and again (instead of booking a cruise for something different):

chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article…

I would not want to be stranded in the middle of the ocean. As much as I love the ocean and it's beauty, I need running water, electricity and normal day to day stuff that these passengers have to wait for. But the bright side is that they are going to get a full refund to be used on a later cruise, I think I would be like Thanks, but No Thanks!