We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Silversands or Vine?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
8 posts
Save Topic
Secrets Silversands or Vine?

Does anyone have an opinion on which is better- Secrets Silversands or Vine? How about location? I really want a luxury resort with a nice room. Thank you so much for any advice!

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Silversands or Vine?

Depends what you want. Secrets Silversands is south, near Puerto Morelos. The Vine is in Cancun's Hotel Zone. Do you want to be close to stuff or plan on staying in resort the whole time?

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Silversands or Vine?

FWIW, we opted for SSS..We have stayed in Cancun for the last 5 years..Change of pace..

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Silversands or Vine?

The beach alone would make me book the Vine and we did, for April.

SSS has a lousy beach for swimming.

We enjoy the hotel zone as we like to easily get out and about. We also enjoy the RM but only at a resort with a good beach.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,062 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Silversands or Vine?

I've been to both. They are both great resorts, but quite different from each other. As stated, SSS is down in the Riviera Maya. You need a taxi/transportation to go anywhere. It's a more spread out resort, and I liked the layout. Each building basically has their own pool, in addition to the main pool. Yes, the beach isn't wonderful. We are pool people, so we didn't care.

The Vine is brand new, stunning, and right in the Hotel Zone. This means you can walk out the front door and walk to shoppiing, dining, and nightlife. I liked our room at Vine better (we had a Preferred Jr Suite). The Vine is a highrise hotel, compact in size. The pools were large enough, it didn't feel very crowded when we were there, but it was only 30%.

Good choice of dining at both, but I think Vine might have more. The Vine also has a sports bar and a piano bar (a lot of bars, actually) so I felt it was more "fun". SSS (when we were there) had a band each night outside.

You won't be disappointed in either choice, I can pretty much guarantee that. How about considering a split stay between the two?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Silversands or Vine?

The rooms are gorgeous at SS but the beach is poop... unless you're 100% pool people, I would stick with The Vine.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Silversands or Vine?

Definitely try the Vine. I stayed at SSS and it was horrible. The service was terrible and the beach was nasty!!!! We're pool people but love to walk on the beach. It wasn't even nice enough to take a daily stroll. The horrible smell if you get stuck in the 4,5, or 6 bulidings in the back is horrendous. We liked most of the food and the crowded main pool, but we won't return.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Silversands or Vine?

julieinatl, thanks for raining on our furture stay at SSS...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Silversands or Vine?

I'm sorry, but it is better to have realistic expectations. I don't always get that from reading TripAdvisor reviews. Some people really like it, but they probably stay in the front near the ocean and main pool and are not beach people. We couldn't even enjoy our big balcony for breakfast or anything because the smell was so bad by our building. And that was the second room we settle on in building 4. The smell would come and go, but it was really bad. Also, I didn't even mention the crazy amount of smokers they cater to every night that ruined the nightly band for us. I also didn't mention that only the main pool is heated, so the other smaller pools and infinity pool are worthless. They are too frigid to enjoy. There wasn't one person using any pool other than the main pool, which is probably why it felt crowded. And we had to ask the pool guys to get us a chair every day. People would just stand around in this area by the pool that should have had chairs, but didn't. Then, they would run and get these really old chairs and bring them out one by one for several people. You should read my full review. I would suggest cancelling if possible and booking somewhere else. Unless, you don't think these things would bother you. I like to relax on vacation and there are too many better resorts to waste time on this one.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Silversands or Vine?

Yeah, we did opt for Preferred club Ocean front rooms..

Just joshing with ya, we will have a great time,

Smoking ? outdoors I take it..Allowed

Heated pools, Yep the main pool is only heated..

Other pools not heated..

Sorry you had a bad stay, but everything I have stated above was common knowledge by reading the reviews on TA...

We will make the best of it...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Silversands or Vine?

We did as well. However, I read one small comment on TA about the smoking and thought the same thing. The it is set up we could not find a seat outside that was not in an area surronded by smokers. Some of the bands were pretty good, but we could only stand the smoke for so long. They put tons of ashtrays on the bar at night so they expect it. Maybe it is not always full of smokers, but that was our experience. My husband used to smoke and could not stand it. It is just not the classy place that I expected and the servers were rude at times like you were troubling them to hand you a bottle of water. And unlike in the hotel zone, there is no where else to go unless you take an expensive taxi. I hope you have a better experience than we did.

Good luck!