We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying British Airways from Gatwick to Cancun

Fort William...
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flying British Airways from Gatwick to Cancun

hi, we normally fly direct from Glasgow to Cancun with Thomas Cook (Staying at Excellence Playa Mujeres) but my travel agent has suggested flying from Glasgow via Gatwick to Cancun with British Airways as their prices are quite a bit cheaper at the moment and they have extra luggage allowance, complimentary drinks, better seat pitch etc. I was quite excited at the thought of going via Gatwick as something different and thought BA were a better airline but on reading some reviews, I'm not so sure. Anyone flown recently with BA? We normally prebook our seats on TC as they have a few sets of just 2 seats together so a bit more private, which is absolutely fine for us, we're not looking for posh or anything but don't want to be disappointed either after travelling via Gatwick. Any advice much appreciated.

south yorks england
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying British Airways from Gatwick to Cancun

hi,we(4 of us) did a twin centre holiday last yr we flew b.a from manchester to heathrow,then heathrow to las vegas ,and after flying on to mexico for ten days we returned with b.a .apart from a delay on the flight back from cancun which meant we missed our connecting flight back to manchester (which was sorted very well once we got back in uk) all was ok with b.a.no complaints from us at all would definately fly again with b.a.sounds a great deal to fly from glasgow via gatwick ,my advice .....do it

London
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying British Airways from Gatwick to Cancun

Well your travel agent whoever he/she is, might want to check the seat pitch on BA because I think you will find it is 31/32 inches, whilst normally longhaul on Thomas Cook is 33 inches.

If you book a Thomas Cook Packgage holiday they give you 25 kgs and hand luggage allowance whilst BA longhaul is 23kgs.

Thomas Cook Holidays also include seats together on many longhaul holidays, British Airways will make you pay to select your seats.

The difference is that BA include drinks and also the departure Tax from Cancun Airport, I believe whilst Thomas Cook Airlines do not.

I hope it's a big saving because travlling all the way down to Gatwick to change planes when you can go direct from Glasgow sounds a bit daft to me unless it is a lot of money in savings. What happens if the connecting flight from Glasgow to London Gatwick is held up or cancelled, you then run the risk of missing the Gatwick to Cancun flight.

You might want to consider changing your travel agent

Fort William...
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying British Airways from Gatwick to Cancun

hi, thanks for replies, that's what we thought too - I'd never have considered coming all the way down to London but thought it might be a wee bit of an adventure and that BA would be a great experience but I think after some research we'll stick to Thomas Cook from Glasgow as we've never had any problems and you're right if there are any delays coming home we'd miss our connecting flight....the saving was about £140 so not really worth the extra hassle in my eyes! Thanks will stick to Glasgow I think. :)

south yorks england
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying British Airways from Gatwick to Cancun

i see what you mean regarding connecting flights,,we flew back overnight from cancun ,we should have departed from gatwick back to manchester at 10.30 am but because we were delayed by 3 hrs we were put on a flight at 4.30 pm so they sorted us out with no fuss but as you say we had to hang around in gatwick for 6 hrs plus ,have a great time anyway

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying British Airways from Gatwick to Cancun

Take my situation, I cannot fly direct. I have to fly to Manchester, Heathrow or Gatwick to catch any flight from Dublin or Shannon. We're flying BA to cancun in May. We had considered Virgin because they were the same price but the Dublin to Gatwick connection was also BA so they are responsible for the connection so the price of the feeder flight is fixed so we could pick any time or day so we picked 24 hours early so we can overnight in Gatwick(and stuff ourselves in TGIs the night before) have a good breakfast before our 11:05am flight. Otherwise we'd have to get up at 2:30am to travel.

Anyway I'd prefer not to fly with a package flight like Thomson. Even the better movies on board have to be paid for.

Ill have my kindle and lashings of food and soft drinks on the flight, seat pitch or not.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying British Airways from Gatwick to Cancun

I'm also curious to know if BA2203 Lands in Terminal 2 or Terminal 3.

Flightradar says Terminal 2 but Googling says Terminal 3. Other sources online state that most, if not all, International flights will land in Terminal 3 especially European flights.

The reason I'm curious is that I would like to pick up some Cigarettes in Duty Free on Arrival and Terminal 2 doesn't have Duty Free on arrival but Terminal 3 does.

dorset
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying British Airways from Gatwick to Cancun

i havn't flown BA to Cancun, but have done TC, FC. Thomson & Virgin. I can say that Virgin was far superior to all, but especially to TC.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying British Airways from Gatwick to Cancun

I would always choose a scheduled airline such as Virgin or BA over a flight operated by a tour charter operator such as TC.

Unless it has changed recently, British arrives at terminal 2 in Cancun.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying British Airways from Gatwick to Cancun

Thanks Robert.

I'll keep an eye on the terminal closer to the date so I may have to buy my Cigarettes in London or on board.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
160 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying British Airways from Gatwick to Cancun

When looking for our holidays to Mexico we usually do Caribbean Warehouse & get a direct flight from Glasgow. I had a look on Hayes & Jarvis & managed to save ourselves around £1500 (approx) by doing BA - Edinburgh - Gatwick - Cancun in May, instead of taking the Thomas Cook or Thomson flight(s) so to me taking the risk is well worth it. When there is a saving like that to be had I jumped at it. Fingers crossed it all runs smoothly.