We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone else have this problem on planes?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Topic
Does anyone else have this problem on planes?

Ever since I was little, whenever I am in a moving vehicle(car, bus, plane, even golfcart!) I cannot focus on anything not-moving for too long or else I start to get the worst headache/nausea/dizziness that you can imagine.

Example: If someone is driving a car and I am a passenger, I cannot help to read a map to get us where we are going--we have to stop the car first. If I'm on a bus, even if I read one single ad that they put all over the walls I start to feel like I'm gonna hurl, and I am always reading things by accident, lol. I can't even watch in-flight movies. I am fine with looking out the window at the moving scenery, but this gets boring really fast.

Is this making sense? I'm wodering if this is motion sickness (funny though, I don't ever get seasick) and if I should take a Gravol when I get on the plane, but I don't want to be knocked out either for my first day in Cancun. Better than having a migraine I guess.

Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone else have this problem on planes?

Hi, I had to reply. I just came back from Cancun and I had two ear surgeries 2 years ago and this was my first plane ride since. The same thing happened to me on the plane and it never happened before. It has something to do with your equilibrium (sp?). Good Luck. Try an ear doctor.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone else have this problem on planes?

It sounds like vertigo to me...There are medications that can help...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone else have this problem on planes?

Rudy, I hope your operations were ok, I never even thought that it could be an ear problem. Maybe it's vertigo, I always thought that was something else though. Oh well, I'll let my doc decide! Thanks!

windsor
Level Contributor
116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone else have this problem on planes?

The same thing happens to me in cars and busses, and for some reason I always end up reading something or I find myself looking at pictures or trying to find a CD to put in!!

I have been on plenty of boats and never had a problem until this past summer when I was on the boat on my way to snorkel and all of sudden I started getting that feeling... I was fine once I jumped in the water.

I do not seem to have that problem on planes although there was a time when I felt like I was being stabbed in my ears while I was on the plane. What really sucked was that I still had two more planes to catch after that one to get back home...

ont can
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone else have this problem on planes?

a little place called vertigo u2

:)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone else have this problem on planes?

Yes Missmia!! That's what happens to me--I'm don't have A.D.D. or anything but it is really hard to just sit there quietly and not look at anything, lol. Then when I start to get the pains I get very antisocial and cannot talk to anybody until it goes away or until I get out of the car/bus/plane.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone else have this problem on planes?

donde esta? ; )

windsor
Level Contributor
116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anyone else have this problem on planes?

I know what you mean, I hate the cold weather here in Windsor (ON) and everyone knows I really really hate the cold, but when I start feeling like that I am trying to jump out of the car or bus as soon as possible and the cold just feels sooooo nice. Well, only for about 2-3 minutes once it goes aways I am back to my self again. I wasn't made for this cold weather that's why I am going to Cancun!!!!!!

I don't have ADD but yeah.... it's hard to do nothing. I have found it is usually worse when I am looking down so sometimes when I am asked to read directions or look at a map I try and hold it over my head.... but that doesn't always work! I am stuck with it!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does anyone else have this problem on planes?

My daughter gets motions sickness pretty easily and I get it when I am in the backseat of a car. I don't really get it on planes though. We bought some children's gravol which I have been told works well. Have you tried Gravol?

Tulsa, Ok
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Does anyone else have this problem on planes?

My husband has a problem with motion sickness (the same symptoms you describe) and he finds Dramamine very helpful. It lasts 12 hours and they have a non-drowsy formula.