We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Couple of "Downfalls" for Resorts You've Experienced...

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
A Couple of "Downfalls" for Resorts You've Experienced...

No resort is perfect. When a resort catches my eye, its always easy to find people who like it, and who say the very best thing about it. But I want to know the downsides, so I know what to expect, before arriving and possibly being dissapointed.

(Keeping in mind that downfalls for some, may not be a downfall for everyone!)

So here goes:

The Golden Parnassus - Cancun

- No swimup bar (I found I really didn't miss it)

-Bumping to a lesser resort at high times (I learned tricks to avoid)

-- no dinner buffet (you don't need reservations for dinner, so I didn't mind)

Iberostar T/Q

-- tries to cater to everyone

-- no fun places to hang at night; lobby bar is boring

--buffet has lots of choices, but many choices are a little strange (to Americans, anyway)

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
302 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Couple of "Downfalls" for Resorts You've Experienced...

GR Solaris

- There was not way to get top shelf liquor, I could not even get Captain Morgan.

- Food was not too good

- Sheets were not very confortable

Beach Palace

- Very little vegatation

- Most rooms are not ocean front

The Royal

-We found it to be a bit smug. We were told to calm down a few times and were not be overly rowdy.

-No food around the pool area. (some find this to be a plus)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Couple of "Downfalls" for Resorts You've Experienced...

I can't think of a resort that I didn't enjoy but IMHO, at the higher price points, small details mean a lot. Fortunately, many of the resorts I have been to have made changes since I visited them. I will only comment on the issues that I believe still exist.

Moon Palace - crappy beach. I went there pre-TA and based my decision on the pictures ion the travel brochure. Palace photo shopped the color of the water. Of course, they cannot do anything about it but I have never been a fan of Palace Resorts after my MP experience.

Royal Hideaway - Also visited pre-TA. The restaurant reservations system is the opposite of luxury. If I am hungry, I should be able to eat. A pager system is much more appropriate. I am on vacation and cannot predict when or what I want to eat for dinner 7 days in advance.

Royal in Playa Del Carmen - no shade by the pool. They need umbrellas. Many resorts have umbrellas without issues.

Golden Parnassus - no swim up bar. I cannot believe they did not install one when they did renovations.

Excellence Riviera Cancun - rooms look tired and the beds are too hard. Shade by the main pool is also an issue and it forces fair-skinned people to play the towel game.

Royal in Cancun - (been twice and it is one of our favorites) they also have a shade problem but it is much better than RPDC. We also had trouble finding consistently good wine. If you find something, you like, it will either be gone the next day or the bartender will tell you it is not included.

Privilege Aluxes on Isla Mujeres - (probably my favorite) Beds are rock hard. Upgraded beer/booze not available at all bars. Roof top pools not cleaned every day. Asian restaurant is bad and seems out of place. They should change the food and the format. PA, however, blows away most resorts when it comes to value, beach service and shade availability.

One thing I don't like about PA is they serve food at the swim up bar and they served some cocktails in glass champagne glasses. One drunk girl broke a glass in the pool. To me, this violates basic pool safety.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 17:09
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Couple of "Downfalls" for Resorts You've Experienced...

I have to disagree with ramcoach on his take on Beach Palace....."Most rooms are not ocean front." Not true, more than half of the rooms are ocean front, and of the ones that are not (those facing the lagoon), 24 of those have wrap-around balconies, which provide ocean-view.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,775 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Couple of "Downfalls" for Resorts You've Experienced...

I'll bite on a couple.

Riu Cancun - incredibly rock hard mattresses (worse ever, for me) - I learned later that a mattress pad could have been requested. Poor A/C.

Golden Parnassus - my biggest beef was what they considered as a bath towel.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 19:15
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A Couple of "Downfalls" for Resorts You've Experienced...

Hey Arseneg, does Beach Palace have any Adult Only pools, like the roof top pools?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Couple of "Downfalls" for Resorts You've Experienced...

Aventura Spa/Cove Palace - the beach :( it's just not the same!)

We also found the resort layout a bit difficult to navigate. All the buildings look exactly the same, and the sidewalks twist and turn... I seemed to get lost almost daily, even on our last day! Mostly pro's but those are my 2 big cons.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Couple of "Downfalls" for Resorts You've Experienced...

Kawi21 - No....as the BP bills itself as a family resort, there are no areas that kids are restricted from. The main pool is actually three separate pools....the main activity pool, the pool by the kids club (and kiddie pool) and water slide, and at the other end, the swim up bar pool. And then there are the two separate pools on the roof....which tend to be quieter. We have usually travelled there during Christmas and Easter (about 20 times total), when there is a large number of families, and it really hasn't been an issue for us. Yes, there are kids, but they are rarely bothersome…to us at least.

8. Re: A Couple of "Downfalls" for Resorts You've Experienced...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 06:17