We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do when it rains in Cancun?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
686 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What to do when it rains in Cancun?

Hello

I am due in Cancun tomorrow and have 5 days of previous vacation time. Unfortunately, from the forecast, it looks like the big storm in the US is also affecting Cancun, and it will rain for 3-4 days straight. Soooo disappointed.

I really appreciate suggestions for what to do when it rains in Cancun. Should I still go to Chitchen Itza? I guess the visit to Isla Mujeres is off.

thanks

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do when it rains in Cancun?

We did Chichen Itza in the rain once and it was a blast!

Rain might make the boat ride to Isla bumpy

You can also go shopping and there is a real nice movie theater at the shopping mall.

If it is warm you can still swim in the pools and ocean, take walks along the beach and so on.

You can bring a deck of cards and start some card games in the lobby

and I am sure some people will post that if you are with your spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend or whomever that there are alot of things you can do by never leaving your room!

Don't worry, your gonna have a great time!

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do when it rains in Cancun?

Don't ever believe the forecasts. They almost always say rain due to the tropical climate. Almost never does as much as they say....

Alcohol is an option....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
269 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do when it rains in Cancun?

Tropical storms usually come and go, so it won't be raining all day, just scattered on and off. If it's still warm, you can still go to the beach and use the pool -- I've gone swimming and snorkeling in the (warm) rain before and it's fine.

Chichen Itza is still a good option, and maybe (if it's warm) visit XCarat -- the underground river there is nice and mostly underground :) You can also do ziplining & ATV tours if it's not raining too hard.

If it's cold, I believe there's a small Mayan museum in Cancun (I haven't been, but it was recommended by someone), or maybe you can visit the downtown market and do some trinket shopping (I didn't do this either so not sure if it's worthwhile).

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
764 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do when it rains in Cancun?

Drink

Alberta
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do when it rains in Cancun?

Well it's over 2 hours to get to Chitzenitza, so you could very well drive out of the rain, and have decent weather at the ruins. One year at the Grand Sirenis we had a wet and soggy day, and the resort staff came up with a pile of board games in the lobby. Conveniently close to the lobby bar, maybe too conveniently close......And it may not be raining farther south. Often rain in Cancun, doesn't mean rain in Playa, and vice versa.

Edited: 26 February 2013, 22:39
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do when it rains in Cancun?

Shopping

Play cards

Sex

Get drunk

Get drunk and go shopping

Get drunk and play cards

Get drunk and have sex

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do when it rains in Cancun?

Swimup bar.....your already wet :)

Level Contributor
501 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do when it rains in Cancun?

Seriously....just sit back under a "covering" and watch it rain, smell the scent, order a drink, and enjoy. Perfect relaxation and it does not last forever. Last time we were at Aqua, we did just that. It was one of our best 'moments' and it saved us from a sunburn!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do when it rains in Cancun?

Unfortunately, there is a storm coming in tomorrow night...There are no tropical storms in the area beacuse it is not hurricane season as the above poster mentioned in error. This storm should pass in 2 or three days hopefully.

Toronto
Level Contributor
686 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do when it rains in Cancun?

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Any day in Cancun is better than a day at work. I will just have to make the most of my vacation time.